Valve cover vent tube relocation

I finished up my vent tube relocation and took a picture if anyone is interested. The only parts I needed were a 1/2" "T" fitting and a Honda drain from a XR600 (PN# 17358-HAO-680).

I cut about two inches from the vent tube and attached it to the "T" and the air box drain. I then attached the Honda drain to the "T" and cut the vent tube to length to route it to the "T". I found that you can use the upper bracket that holds the vent tube and located it on the carb. The only other thing I needed to do was cut about two inches from the outer tubing protecting the vent tube so I could use the bracket correctly. See the picture for a better understanding.

With this setup no water is going to get into the head and the "T" acts like an oil separator, keeping a majority of the oil out of the air box. Also, the air box can now drain when it gets some water in over the top.

vent_small.jpg

With the hose on the drain are you concerned about sucking up some junk that falls into the bottom of the airbox? Most mods have had the hose go into the top of the airbox or through a fitting installed at a higher mounting point. Also the valve can be wedged open by dirt or debris so check it often.

yes looks nice made, but it's connected to a wrong hole..thats where all sort of debry gathers and will be pushed by water into the hose

the vent hose should bo connected on the upper side and should breath through the air filter, not diretly

you did think about how to get excess wate out, bo if you ride in water, it might jut be too much for the vent to carry out

I ran it into the drain for 300 miles before cutting it down and routing it as in the picture. There was no debris in the hose when I cut it to length. The "T" acts as a separator and removes the oil from going into the air box and would catch anything going the other way.

• 5 months later...

I'm preparing my bike this season, and I have tough a lot about the rerouting of the breather hose. Your set up is pretty good and clean looking. ?

In Europe where environment laws are tougher, the wr has the breather hose directly hooked up to the air box.

I wonder if there are anyways we can get the OEM part kit?

Anyone from Europe having info on that ? ?

Here's how I routed my valve cover vent hose. I purchased an additional Yamaha vent hose which already has the goose neck bend in it, so it was easy to run without kinking. Installed a "T" which I purchased from Lowe's in their lawnwatering section. I cut and installed the "T" as high as it would fit near the top of the motor. I routed one section of hose on the right side of the engine to the airbox(seems like most guys have theirs on the left side) with the original vent hose staying just where it is. I installed a "double male" fitting also purchased at Lowe's. Drilled the appropriate size hole in the air box, very simple installation.

I've included 3 photo's for viewing. I did seal the fitting to the airbox, but the last photo was taken before I had done that. The hoses fit very snug on the fittings and probably didn't need anything additional, but I went ahead and used zipties. ?

RIM00891.jpg

RIM00892.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/basicblues/RIM00889.jpg

Here's how I routed my valve cover vent hose. I purchased an additional Yamaha vent hose which already has the goose neck bend in it, so it was easy to run without kinking. Installed a "T" which I purchased from Lowe's in their lawnwatering section. I cut and installed the "T" as high as it would fit near the top of the motor. I routed one section of hose on the right side of the engine to the airbox(seems like most guys have theirs on the left side) with the original vent hose staying just where it is. I installed a "double male" fitting also purchased at Lowe's. Drilled the appropriate size hole in the air box, very simple installation.

I've included 3 photo's for viewing. I did seal the fitting to the airbox, but the last photo was taken before I had done that. The hoses fit very snug on the fittings and probably didn't need anything additional, but I went ahead and used zipties. ?

RIM00891.jpg

RIM00892.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/basicblues/RIM00889.jpg

I like it, looks good.