steering damper or no steering damper

I was thing about geting a steering damper any one had any luck with them? I ride hare scrammbles and gncc in the mid south and alot of riders use them. Just wondering how well they work before I throw down that much cash for one. What kind do you guys recomend? I've been lookin at the WER anyone have any experience with them?

Honestly if you have your suspension setup right you don't need one. I don't use one myself but many swear by them.

Dwight

• Like 2

Well, if you're talented enough to make it to the ISDE or win any A class overall that may be true. But for an everyday Joe Schmoe a damper is great. Compensates for mistakes, basically, like when you're coming up a nasty hill & intend to carry the front end over a bunch of roots but have to set it down cause you're heading off-line real fast...

• Like 1

I got a used RTT, its been one of the best mods for my bike. It's really made the riding easier on my arms and body. You're not fighting the bike as much, which alowys you to focus more. I would also recommend the RTT, works awesome and customer service is great.

www.rttmotorsports.com

• Like 1

OK let me be stupid....What are they and what do they do for you?

they absorb front deflection and I think most of the popular brands are good but I hear if your going to spend the money you might as well get the best...scotts. Street bikes also use dampers but they dampen both ways from center while dirt models only damper oneway as you don't want the inhibit steering in the tight stuff. Ricky Carmichal is running a crazy experimental damper that looks pretty light and sweet!

I ride sand,silt with rocks that you can't see. when you do hit them the dampener helps keep the handle bars from being ripped out of your hands.I first put one on my desert bike now I have one on my trail bike.I like the scott's :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I ride sand, silt with rocks that you can't see. when you do hit them the dampner helps keep the handle bars from being ripped out of your hands.

That's why I love my Scotts. I know it's a little scary spending $350-$500 on something with out really knowing it will work. Soon after buying my bike, I was out riding with a buddy that had a Scotts unit installed, we were riding down a soft, but fast sandy wash, I'm fighting a headshake, and I look over to him and he riding smooth as silk. We talked after we got back to camp, he said it was the stabilizer...got one before my next ride out, and fell in love!

to get mine from me you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

Sefro

• Like 2

Cant say yet... Been waiting for 3 WEEKS for GPR to even SHIP mine to me.... :thumbsup::lol::awww::D:devil:

I like my damper for the unexpected situations. While riding with friends through nearly a mile of whoops on a desert trail at high speed, I was getting tired and dropped down to 3rd gear on my 650r. I was super tired from hours of riding before hand and while slowing down I was getting out of the rhythm when I hit an irregularly spaced whoop. In the middle there was a huge uneven rock that quickly came up on me and I was unabale to avoid it. My front wheel hit it hard at an angle and I could feel my bars jerk, but I believe the damper kept the bars from jerking out of my hands and I pulled over to take a break. My brother-in-law hit the rock and the bars were jerked from his hands and he endowed to the side. A rider on a quad hit that same rock and blew the bead on a tire, severely dented his left front rim and was thrown from the quad. I believe the damper + my momentum + some luck carried me though it, but that's one of several times where I was glad I had the damper.

FlyByWire: My friends all run GPR and swear by them. Often they (GPR) are at races and will rebuild the stabilizer for free. However, I have the Scotts and prefer it because it has no resistance when returning the front wheel to straight ahead. Also, it has a low and high speed circuit so you can tune it until you don't feel any resistance to moving the front left and right but it will still dampen deflection.

So, if you haven't checked out the differences you might want to while your waiting on that order. But like I said, my friends love their GPR's. Here's a review of the GPR unit I found.

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/projects/crf450/gpr/

I was doing about 80mph (dirt road) on my previous bike. Hit a rock which slammed my handlebar left injuring my wrist. After a year my wrist is still weak (sounds funny I know). However, I haven't reinjured it sense I installed the stabilizer. They are also safety devices.

Edited to add link: Will

A damper helps to inspire confidence and an aggressive riding posture in both tight technical and high speed terrain, they are also great for riding ruts and whoops. Dampers help to compensate for some mistakes and also help with fatigue at the end of long races. I got my Scotts 4 years ago and I love it, they are all expensive but worth every penny. :devil::thumbsup:

• Like 1

once you install it on your bike, can you install it on your next bike? or do you need a different model for each bike?

Street bikes also use dampers but they dampen both ways from center while dirt models only damper oneway as you don't want the inhibit steering in the tight stuff.

This is not true. Most dirt dampers dampen both ways. WER damps one way, Scotts is adjustable enough to have it dampen one way, and most of the others dampen both ways.

Quote from Scott's web site:

"One of our dampers most important features is that the Scotts Stabilizer only dampens as the handlebar turns away from center. The handlebar "free-valves" back to dead straight. That makes the bike want to go straight, all by itself. This is a huge advantage over other stabilizers."

Yes, you can take it with you from bike to bike but you have to buy the mounting hardware.

Here's the link to a review:

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/projects/crf450/scotts/