Chain Lubricant

I used to be a dedicated chain wax guy. Might be because of my road oriented past. I have for the last few months been using synco/permatex super lube with teflon spray to lube my chain with great results. It penetrates well, & keeps the o-rings nice & pliable, & it doesn't collect sand & crud to make "grinding paste" like the chain wax that I had used before. I usually go to the car wash & power wash the bike after rides, & blast the hell out of the chain. when I get home, I'll put it on the stand & use a plastic bristle brush to scrub all 4 sides of the chain, & then lube it (along with all the other pivot parts, pegs, shifter, levers, etc.) with the super lube. Works great. :)

I used to be a dedicated chain wax guy. Might be because of my road oriented past. I have for the last few months been using synco/permatex super lube with teflon spray to lube my chain with great results. It penetrates well, & keeps the o-rings nice & pliable, & it doesn't collect sand & crud to make "grinding paste" like the chain wax that I had used before. I usually go to the car wash & power wash the bike after rides, & blast the hell out of the chain. when I get home, I'll put it on the stand & use a plastic bristle brush to scrub all 4 sides of the chain, & then lube it (along with all the other pivot parts, pegs, shifter, levers, etc.) with the super lube. Works great. :)

You really shouldn't use a powerwasher on your chain. :) You can/will force water in behind the o-rings, and the o-rings will trap the water in there indefinately.

Pardon my ignorance but the stock chain DID520VM/DAIDO seems to be an " X-ring ". Is this true and just what is the difference between an X-ring and O-ring?

I have been applying heavy gear oil (90 weight),with a little grease, do I need to clean this stuff off and go with chain-lube or chain-saw oil?

You really shouldn't use a powerwasher on your chain. :naughty: You can/will force water in behind the o-rings, and the o-rings will trap the water in there indefinately.

Yeah, I actually quit doing that awhile ago, I did a cut & paste on that response from one I gave in a similar thread a while ago. The parts of my chain that see the worst "blasting" when washing are at the CS sprocket & at the chain guide, as those are typically the two areas that mud/crud builds up the worst.

My two cents worth! WD-40 is fine for non o-ring or x-ring chains. Wd-40 and o-rings don't mix well with time. I have had reasonably good results with Motorex's enduro chain lube. It's in a redish colored can. It is clear and it has about the right mix of adhesion and removability. Give it a try and I believe that you will like it.

There is no differnce in the materials of an X ring and an O ring. Only difference is the profile. (shape)

I use silicon spray it's not a dirt or mud collector and hoses clean with ease.

I use powerslide chain lube. Comes in a blue bottle. I am still on the original chain/sprockets and I have about 1700 miles on them with no sign of wear. All I do is wash my bike with a garden hose after every ride then run it up and down the street and into the garage..up on the stand and spray the chain. I don't ever scrub the chain or attempt to clean it. It just stays clean. I tried the Belray crap and I hated it because it just made a sticky grit paste crap. I didn't even use the whole can. My .02 cents.