Sign in to follow this  

2004 TC450 as an enduro/offrode weaponofmassdestruction?

I am a hardcore off roader with a few Tecate 250 enduros and every Tecate Hare Scrambles under my belt (trophied this year...finally), also some Dez and mostly San Diego county mountain trail rides for fun. I have done all this on KTMs,,EXCs 300 and 250. I have ridden many bikes including my first 4 stroke 1986 510tx as well as all the modern 4 strokes CRF YZF KTMs 400,525 as well,the last bike from Husky I rode and raced was an ex Davide Trolli 610 1998 model....now to the point of this exercise,,,I have been offered a super deal from one of my extended riders list,,a 450TC just alittle less then brand new,,,I had been seriously considering going Husky again after following the latest rise in the enduro world with the new motor type 4 strokes,,especially Anders 2003 WC,,,,but my choice has been the TE model with the 6spd tranny and 18" rear wheel,light kit etc..I enter this forum to hear from you guys out there,,on your opinion of the TC as a technical enduro mount for a veteran and fairly good enduro rider. I welcome gear ratio suggestions, jetting, rim size, oh and my choice for my suspension has always been Factory Connection,, I am used to riding my KTM 250 EXC which has been ported and with FMF exhaust system, tall seat, tall bars, all the Kevin Hines' E-line accesories stuff,so its quite hard hitting and fast. Throw me some ideas for a good conversion,,I do know most Pros here ride converted MX bikes for the off road stuff,,from Ty Davis'YZs to R Smiths Suz to Casellis KTMs so I think its very feasable ,,,I know some of the Enduro WC guys ride MX bikes as well,,so Send me your opinions I think I answered my question all ready but I welcome set up ideas,,,PS I am an engineer by trade,,thanks TT,,Rob

I am a newbie to x country, I started my second year of racing this year with a TE450, and now am on a TC450. I think I like the TC more! It seems to have a broader, better power delivery. It does suffer from the taller 1st gear, and on the fast fire roads, the slower top gear. Still a great choice for off road.

I am a newbie to x country, I started my second year of racing this year with a TE450, and now am on a TC450. I think I like the TC more! It seems to have a broader, better power delivery. It does suffer from the taller 1st gear, and on the fast fire roads, the slower top gear. Still a great choice for off road.

How is the suspension? Are you running the TE muffler?

:thumbsup:

I'm on a TC450 riding New England woods. I like the suspension alot. As for the tall first gear, I have a 14 tooth front coming in today, and I'll be giving it a try this afternoon, but Sunday's Hare Scramble will be the real test. The clutch was taking a beating in the really tight stuff, or it stalled. I am not too concerned about the top gear speed because in the NE woods, top speed is never needed.

I'm running the TE muffler. I love the stealthyness of that can. The TC muffler wasn't in the crate when the bike was delivered to me, so I cannot comment on a comparisom.

I picked the TC over the TE because of the price. $4,800 on eBay, brand new from a dealer in Minnesota.

$4,800 on eBay

I have got to emigrate. My TE cost $10,378.62 at the current exchange rate :thumbsup:

I'm going for a lay down now...

I am a hardcore off roader with a few Tecate 250 enduros and every Tecate Hare Scrambles under my belt (trophied this year...finally), also some Dez and mostly San Diego county mountain trail rides for fun. I have done all this on KTMs,,EXCs 300 and 250. I have ridden many bikes including my first 4 stroke 1986 510tx as well as all the modern 4 strokes CRF YZF KTMs 400,525 as well,the last bike from Husky I rode and raced was an ex Davide Trolli 610 1998 model....now to the point of this exercise,,,I have been offered a super deal from one of my extended riders list,,a 450TC just alittle less then brand new,,,I had been seriously considering going Husky again after following the latest rise in the enduro world with the new motor type 4 strokes,,especially Anders 2003 WC,,,,but my choice has been the TE model with the 6spd tranny and 18" rear wheel,light kit etc..I enter this forum to hear from you guys out there,,on your opinion of the TC as a technical enduro mount for a veteran and fairly good enduro rider. I welcome gear ratio suggestions, jetting, rim size, oh and my choice for my suspension has always been Factory Connection,, I am used to riding my KTM 250 EXC which has been ported and with FMF exhaust system, tall seat, tall bars, all the Kevin Hines' E-line accesories stuff,so its quite hard hitting and fast. Throw me some ideas for a good conversion,,I do know most Pros here ride converted MX bikes for the off road stuff,,from Ty Davis'YZs to R Smiths Suz to Casellis KTMs so I think its very feasable ,,,I know some of the Enduro WC guys ride MX bikes as well,,so Send me your opinions I think I answered my question all ready but I welcome set up ideas,,,PS I am an engineer by trade,,thanks TT,,Rob

Sorry to hear about the "Engineer by trade" part of all of that rambling.

Anyway, I ride all the same places as you and the TC would be the perfect Tecate bike. I've only been on a TC a couple times, Both were at a track (Cahuilla). A gearing change would calm it down for sure. It has tones of power, low end grunt, and a nice top end.

I know there is at least one guy racing a TC in D-37 that has no complaints about the top speed, and certainly that bike can take on any slow section with ease.

I hear Tecate is in Dec. this year. Is that true? Maybe even a wet race for a change. :thumbsup:

I'm running the first Rekluse Z-start in my TE and sorting it out for production. Pretty much perfect as is :>) This is the ticket for making an MX bike work in the woods. Eliminates the first gear issue and you can't stall the bike. Lots of guys off roading with CRF450's are running this as it is the ticket for off road and tall first gears. If your running a TC (or a TE for that matter) I would very much consider one of these units.

Yeah sounds good and Cahuilla is a demanding track,,I did one day a few months back and it poured down rain it was cold wet and of course super fun under those conditions check out www.losancianos.com they do have the event in Dec ,,thanks, Rob

Today I had my first ride on my TC450 with a gearing change. It is amazing how much more useable the power is by simply dropping the front sprocket to a 14. First gear is no longer a handfull. The clutch took alot LESS abuse today as well. Just some info for you in case you pick up the TC. GREAT in the woods, now!

How is the suspension? Are you running the TE muffler?

:devil:

Well,

I am still getting use to the bike, and I do have the TE muffler on the Ti pipe, the power seems smoother, a longer power curve. The suspension I think is just as good as the old TE I was used to. It honestly didn't seem any stiffer, if anything, smoother through it's stroke :awww: (after just one H/S)

This bike is much further down the serial number line and appears to have some miner upgrades.

Is it true the Te has the balance shaft and TC not?

Cause this TC engine is without a doubt much smoother running and way less top end and gear noise :lol:

It actually feels lighter too. :thumbsup:

As I said, I am a new racer and it has been 6 weeks since I rode the TE last.

But hell ya the TC is a great bike!!!! And in B.C Canada, we have some serious tight woods stuff too!

Bug,

Thanks a lot for the info. Very useful as I have a freind looking and the TC is easy to get and cheap! :thumbsup: