CA Green Sticker for 2003 Fact or Fiction?

I need a history lesson here. I've been away from dirt bikes for a while, but when I "retired" in early '97 there was a big flap over green stickies. From what I remember, any race bike made after January 1, 1997 was a red sticker only bike. This was pre-thumper era and supposedly going to drop resale prices through the basement, since nobody would be able to register a '98-up CR (or whatever) for use on public land. Now I start riding again a few years later only to encounter the same argument only with much newer bikes. My question is, what happened to the original cutoff date? Did they see a giant loss in revenue and drop the issue the first time around? Also, fellow Californians, Gov Arnold (can't spell his last name!) wants to abolish the CARB and adopt federal air standards. I say, hell yeah!

I need a history lesson here. I've been away from dirt bikes for a while, but when I "retired" in early '97 there was a big flap over green stickies. From what I remember, any race bike made after January 1, 1997 was a red sticker only bike. This was pre-thumper era and supposedly going to drop resale prices through the basement, since nobody would be able to register a '98-up CR (or whatever) for use on public land. Now I start riding again a few years later only to encounter the same argument only with much newer bikes. My question is, what happened to the original cutoff date? Did they see a giant loss in revenue and drop the issue the first time around? Also, fellow Californians, Gov Arnold (can't spell his last name!) wants to abolish the CARB and adopt federal air standards. I say, hell yeah!

Here's what we're up against

Here's what it's really about

Getting rid of CARB would be a wonderful thing indeed! Then we need to figure out how to get rid of the radical greens who have taken over the California OHV Commission.

The tree-huggers are not just against bikes. I work for a lumber company that has been crippled as a result of meeting the most ridiculous and expensive standards you could possibly imagine. Mainstream enviro-groups like the Sierra Club use terrorist organizations like Earth First! and litigation groups like EPIC to do their dirty work and shut down logging at all costs. I for one am so sick of this BS and rhetoric that I am considring joining the exodus from this once great state. Fortunatly the company I work for allows bikes access to it's land and is trying to put together a small off-road park for bikes, quads and such. of course you can imagine the uproar that has caused. Logging and NOW dirt bikes? THE END is surely near!

• 1 year later...

I not only have a 2003 with a green sticker.... I have a 2003 CANADIAN CRF450R with a green sticker here in Cali! WOOT!

Just got it this last saterday

Where in SoCal are you? The escondido DMV office no longer does saterday stuff.... but Oceanside DOES! Thing that worked for me is the people that had to work on saterday at the oceanside office were from the Escondido office. I just walked up and was like "I need to get a green sticker for my bike" and handed her the paper work.... everything filled out and ready to go! if you need a vin inspection, drop by the police pepartment around 7pm and they'll hook you up. Hell, they had me read them the numbers so they didnt have to hop in the truck ?

I almost bought an 03 450r with a green sticker. The guy bought it Dec '02 and he was given red but at renewal he got the green. I called DMV Sacramento and they said it's a mistake. A lot of the DMV employees don't know the rule with the 8th digit as previously mentioned.

mee too....03' that came new with a red sticker and went to renew it and got a green sticker....shhh... dont tell anybody...

Congratulations woodzguy! You are the official TT historian. You have selected a two year old post to dig up and reply to. ?