Sign in to follow this  

Sag mesurement

I did some mesurements today on my suspention sag. But I am not sure what mesurements to go by. I know that I should have 4" of sag but is that with the tire off the ground compaired to on the ground, with me on it or with out me on it compaired to with me on it?

here are the mesurements

24 7/8 bike off ground

23 1/4 just the weight of the bike

20 3/8 with me on it

I am 155lbs with all my gear what should the clickers be set at for street/woods riding? They are stock right now.

The 4" should be with you on the bike w/gear. It looks like you have too much sag and will need to crank down on the spring a little.

4" seems like a lot to me. I run 3" for desert and 2 1/2 for motocross. The desert set up would be similar for woods riding. You want to make sure you are not sitting too far down in the travel already.

As far as the clickers go, you need to experiment with that depending on what the bike is or is not doing for you. I have my clickers set up for the off-road and leave them the same for street riding. If you are racing motard you may want to reconsider this approach. I'm sure there is a different set-up for Motard. I don't have any experience in this area.

Fred,

You should raise the rear 1/2" to 3/4" with the preload to get your bike working better in every way. The suspension will work better and the bike will turn much better, it will increase front wheel bite, and overall stability.

:devil:

Mike

:thumbsup:

sounds good But why do I need to raise it? To get in the 4" range? from what mesurement to what should this be? I wanna know how to come up with 4" of sag. Do I need the rear off the ground? How do I mesure sag is what I guess I am asking.

and to raise the rear I tighten the spanner nuts, right?

Yes, you need to tighten the spanner nut.

Sag Measurement... From axle to a fixed point (on the fender directly above the axle)

Measurement 1 - Put the bike on a stand and take measurement

Measurement 2 - Sit on the bike with your gear and take measurement.

Sag = Measurement 1 - Measurement 2 (in your case, 4 1/2 inches). This is too much according to your target. You need to tighten the spanner nut to decrease this.

You say bike on a stand? I measured mine with it resting on the ground for the first measurement. Was this wrong?

sounds good But why do I need to raise it? To get in the 4" range? from what mesurement to what should this be? I wanna know how to come up with 4" of sag. Do I need the rear off the ground? How do I mesure sag is what I guess I am asking.

and to raise the rear I tighten the spanner nuts, right?

It sounds like you took the initial measurements properly. Lift rear to top out the suspension and measure. Then measure again with you on the bike. The difference is the sag # you are looking for. Both are difficult to do by yourself so the help of an assistant is recommended.

And yes, crank preload in by turning the lock rings on the shock in, clock wise ( back the top lock ring off, then turn the lower one). :thumbsup:

Mike

:devil:

Convert to MM"s, I've always ran between 95mm to 100mm. My weight at 185lb showed 120 mm sag on DRZ Off the floor, a fish tailing pos with that much sag offroad.

I converted it to mm and came up with 114.3mm of sag. This is too much right? I should be around 100mm. I understand it now :thumbsup: I will have to adjust that pronto!!! Went riding today in alot of sand and gravel with those trail wings and you guys are right! They suck! I bet my sag is not helping any either. The front end wants to wash out and the rear spins like crazy. Getting my sag to 100 mm will help this, right?

((The front end wants to wash out and the rear spins like crazy. Getting my sag to 100 mm will help this, right? ))

There's not alot of hope for the front trailwing offroad, but I was able to get the rear to atleast track straight(Still going to spin) with the rear trail wing underpower after getting the sag better. At the time I was mostly riding dry black dirt with 1 in of powder on top, still had to be cafeful on corners. If the rear of your bike is swaying back and forth under power(fishtailing), sag and stiffening the rear will help.

still going have limits though, they aren't dirt tires

You say bike on a stand? I measured mine with it resting on the ground for the first measurement. Was this wrong?

Just to make sure you understand - YES THIS WAS WRONG!

The rear tire should not be on the ground when you take your first measurement. If you don't have a stand, lean it over on the kickstand and have someone else do the measurement... Sounds to me like you've got WAY too much sag...

Yes, I was incorrect on the first part of the measurement in telling you start on the stand. My apologies :thumbsup:, it was about 2 am when I sent the e-mail.

Thanks for straightening me out.

I got my sag right. (was off by about 3/4 of an inch) and went riding today. WOW what a difference it made. The trailwings are much more rideable off road now. They still leave alot to be desired but the bike handles much better now. Thanks guys :thumbsup: I'll have to save up for some better tires now. I'm thinking about the karoo's.

Good Job :thumbsup: If you want to get better turning response you can raise the forks (slide them farther up in the triple clamp) a few millimeters. The more you raise them the quicker the bike will turn but you may sacrafice some high speed stability. :devil: