Leaking gas tank 2000 WR400

Since you really do not have a lot of options here, try my repair. Scuff the area where the leak is located with sand paper. Clean the area where the leak is located with brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner and let it dry. Make sure that the tank is vented. Apply Marine Goop following the directions on the package for application. Apply it liberally over the leak area and let it dry throughly. Then hope for the best. I used this stuff on a 5 gallon polypropylene gas can several years ago and it has held up. You can plastic weld your tank, but it will be tough to find anyone who will do it, because of the liability issues involved with repairing a gas tank. Marine Goop is made by the same people who make Shoe Goop and can be found in any large hardware store. Actually I think that the entire line of Goop products is virtually the same "goop", but the Marine Goop had some good words about waterproof, UV protected, etc.. ?

Duct Tape!

Just kidding ?

See if you can take the tank out, drain it, and leave it sitting so most the vapors go away. Possibly you could get some automotive silicone on both sides of the seam, or fuse it back together using a heat gun very carefully?

My tank has a leak at the back end (by the seat) on the seam. Any way to fix this?

Haven´t you see the pics of a Wr burning because of repaired tank??,, i can´t find them yet,, but if i do,, i will post them here... there been around in TT for a while.

My advice is buy a new translucid tank and be safe.

Take off your tank drain it well clean the area around the crack, hook your shop vac up to the filler opening on the tank use a butane torch on low flame work it in 1 inch circles starting at one end of the crach blending the molten area with a small clean flat head screw driver. The shop vac helps to pull the molten material into the crack. BE Careful not to burn the plastic.

Haven´t you see the pics of a Wr burning because of repaired tank??,, i can´t find them yet,, but if i do,, i will post them here... there been around in TT for a while.

My advice is buy a new translucid tank and be safe.

Ditto! Spend $250.00 and avoid risking buying a used WR400 replacement bike! These things can go up in flames real easy if you are leaking gas! ?

Tell you what to do. Take tank off empty it. Where your seam is cracked or separating clean it with methyl ethyl keytone (M.E.K ) sand the area off with 80 grit sand paper after sanding clean again with M.E.K.. M.E.K. evaporates real quick. Apply a coat of JB weld while the JB is still wet. Lay a piece of window screen larger than the cracked area by aleast a 1/2 inch in each direction. The screen will hold the epoxy together and wont allow it to crack. Let the JB cure over night. reinstall tank.

I had a plastic radiator crack while on vacation 1500 miles from home and the local radiator shop said it would be 3-4 days before they could get the part. This was in the middle of summer hotter than hell had to run the a/c no real choice. Through the expanding and contracting of the motor heating up and cooling off along with the 14 or 15lbs of pressure the radiator holds it not only got us back home but lasted another 4 months until I had the money to replace the radiator. The radiator shop wanted damn near $600 to do the job. Cost me 1 day down time while on vacation and $9.00 in material. I replaced the radiator with a brand new one only cost me $229.00 when I got back home. Just want to thank Montana for trying to F_ _ _ me. azzholes

Yep it is true they will leak what they have in them!!! How ever a fuel tank does not have any pressure in it a radiator has 13-16 pounds and expands and contracts with the tempreture of the fluid inside of it. your fuel will only fluctuate maybe 20 degrees. Your radiator will fluctuate 200 degrees big difference when you are talking about expantion and contraction.

Radiator will leak: COOLANT ?

Gas tank will leak: GASOLINE :devil:

mmm is there any difference? ... coolant is flammable too, right?

And the answer to your question is yes coolant is flammable.

Go back and take a fire training course before you speak of something you know nothing about.

I tried burning antifreeze a couple mins ago just to see if I could, and it does burn, but isn't as volatile as gas by far. ? It took some serious oxy-acetylene torching to get going. Possibly because it releases alcohol vapors as it heats up?

I have seen a match burn in a puddle of gas 1/8 of an inch deep x 8" x 5" for 10 seconds and never ignite the gasoline and this was not old gas... fresh out of the pump. It all depends on conditions as to how flammable a subtance will be. Water in the right conditions will ignite also this is how pistons and rings end up cracked. Water creates a more powerful explosion in the motor in the right measurements. thus cracking piston and rings. ( anybody ever heard of water injection ) used in race cars.

I tried burning antifreeze a couple mins ago just to see if I could, and it does burn, but isn't as volatile as gas by far. :devil: It took some serious oxy-acetylene torching to get going. Possibly because it releases alcohol vapors as it heats up?

Thank you Eric_F. All things are flammable given the right conditions. Everything has it's own flash point. At a certain temp everything gives off a gas. ?