Sign in to follow this  

I just installed my stage2hotcam, now my I.N valve clearance is off?

I just installed my stage two hotcam last night. Both My intake valve's went from 0.10mm to 0 after I installed the hotcam. So I went to my honda dealer to get some new valve shims, they only had 9 different shims so I got all of them. The best clearance I can get on the intake is 0.20mm thats 0.05mm to much. Do you guys think I'd be safe to ride it like this? I want to ride so bad this weekend and my honda dealer is not open this weekend. My E.X clearance did not change to much Its at 0.28mm.

using a micrometer you can sand down the shims.When I reshim I dont bother with new shims.Sand papper and flat surface. :thumbsup:

using a micrometer you can sand down the shims.When I reshim I dont bother with new shims.Sand papper and flat surface. :thumbsup:

I tried that once...hardened shims dont sand well in my experince tryin that...also if you dont sand them perfectly flat...you are taking the chance at bending a valve and tearin up your top end.

pritchard67 thanks for the tip but my valve clearance is not tight, its to loose meaning that I would have to use a thicker valve shim to get my clearance back to normal.

My I.N valve clearance is 0.20mm the max clearance the honda manual shows is 0.15mm

Throttlejockey, In that case I think Im going to play it safe and not ride this weekend even though my honda dealer said it should be fine. Now that I think about it having to much clearance would let the valve ride more so on the flank of the cam lobe's. This would open the valves faster and slam them shut faster right? I think that would be harder on the valve's and valve seats. :thumbsup: