Sign in to follow this  

Which bike makes best SM for everyday use? DRZ? CRF? WR?

I have read through a lot of posts dealing with a similar topic and I have seen a lot of the DRZ faithful posting, and while I was happy with my DRZ supermoto I do want something with more pep.

Now I had the S model to avoid all the hassles of converting the E, which in retrospect was not the best idea I suppose, but I did find that with the stock gearing and the 17's the bike was not so great for the commuting I do.

Here is the deal, I want a bike that will be comfortable--I took the DRZ on a 5 hour ride once and that seat felt like a block of wood, it took 3 days to work up enough courage for the 5 hour return ride--but also be able to handle decent highway speeds. To get to school I have to take the freeway and the DRZ topped out just over 100km/h; well if I beleived the speedo I was doing 180km/h but I know better. :thumbsup:

I do not mind regular maintenance, but I want a bike that will last a few years of regular riding yet with enough power to haul my butt around quickly.

I loved my YZ 250F so I thought a WR 450F might be the bike for me however I never hear anyone talking of the Yammies as good SM bikes. It all seems to be the DRZ and the CRF.

EDIT: Any advice would be helpful so please post up--and I DID use the search option already so while this topic is probably brought up a couple times a week by people new to SM, please humour me and post. :devil:

Thanks!

You forgot about the XR650R. It will have plenty more pep. Maintenance is as easy as the DRZ (if not easier) and the seat is more comfortable. You can easily pull a taller gear on the highway.

You could also go the KTM Duke II route, but oil changes are kind of a pain (you have to bleed it) and expensive (full synthetic). The seat is softer than the XR and it is already setup to go plenty fast on the freeway.

If you don't mind the older bikes, the XR600 makes a great dual sport, so I am sure it would Motard well too. That seat is like a couch. Plenty capable on the highway too. Maintenance is a no-brainer as well.

Whatever you do, buy your wheels from Eastcoastwheels. They are selling them for $800 !!! I have not found anything cheaper yet.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

I converted my E to SM and changed to 15/41 gearing and it does my every day commute quite well ... rode it down to phillip island the other weekend and it sat they hwy at around 110kph allright. Seat is a bit of a pain, although the new corbin one looks promising. The S model sounds like its a bit down in the excitement side, but an E might be the go or if you can do an engine swap on an S to an E, or pull the motor apart and stick the E bits (or better) in it.

Failing that, my second choice when I was looking around was the XR650R. I definately wanted something water cooled (ie. modern design, my old XR600 was OK but....) and the things that lead me to the drz instead were lighter weight and the magical e-start button...

I DEFINITELY want the E-start, and thought of the Duke 2 but have heard some bad things on KTM longevity.

Do you still have the S model with the 17's on it...?...I would trade you a SM DRZe model for it...I actually put 17's on my DRZe mainly because I rode a friends S model and my e feels like it has at least 10 more HP (I know someone on here probbaly knows the exact...but that is a seat of the pants quess) My bike is listed on ebay right now (link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2488710714

And I am currently looking at a XR650R that has already been title and tagged...I have not ridden a SM XR650R...but I know I love the DRZ with 17's on it. My e is geared 15/45 and it does need to be 15/40 or so though...especially if you do alot of highway commuting. I will also say the only hold-up (for me) with the XR is no e-button...but it should be better for highway speeds though...Good Luck, mitch

No I do not, I had the DRZ stolen last year with the knobbies on and recently sold the SM wheels and brakes to someone else. The S was geared with 15/44 and with the 17's it was nice in the low end but I lost a lot of the top.

I am also thinking seriously of a 650R but only if they are reasonably easy to E-start them because I am not sure if I want a bike that can be stolen with just a few kicks--the DRZ was stolen pretty easily enough. :thumbsup:

....however I never hear anyone talking of the Yammies as good SM bikes. It all seems to be the DRZ and the CRF.

I love my 2001 WR(444) I (think I) have about 55 or so RWHP and it starts 1st or 2nd kick even after sitting for a couple weeks.

I am running 15/43 gearing and top out at 109 MPH (clocked by my buddy on his Mille RSV-R) it is not the most comfortable ride on the freeway, but I can get anywhere I want to go on it staying off the freeway so I do.

Since I do NOT rely on it for transportation I opted for the converted MX route from a strictly performance point of view and I am glad I did, light, fast and fun as hell in the canyons or the street for that matter, but it is still just a toy to me.

MotoGreg rode my WR while we were at a race in Vegas last year and he loved it I think, it definately pulls as hard as ANY CRF with a pipe and free mods, and is not much slower than my Yosh prepped CRF, so you should make sure you are going to be happy with "comfy cozy" as opposed to "lean and mean".

:thumbsup:

Check bajadesigns.com and joe racer products for the 650R e-start. If you just want it for the anti theft reasons, it does,'t matter what you have (E or no E). These bikes are all so light, if someone wants it, they can be put into a truck without issue. I dont have an e-start, but I made a key switch that is under my seat so it cant be hacked. It is accessible at the base of the tank/seat area where there is a little gap. I use it to ground out the coil. Combined with a cable lock, that's about as good as it will get.

If you are worried about the KTM Duke LC4 longevity, that RFS 525 will definately be an issue. Plus that changing oil after every ride has got to get old. They are bad-ass bikes, but they really were designed for competition. If you want a dual sport that will be commutable, it's gonna have to be a heavier but more reliable motor.

Thanks for all the input, I think I am leaning towards an XR650R right now, with a WR450 being a close second.

I had several Honda sportbikes and their reliability has been terrific, and my Yamaha dirtbike was by far the best offroader I have had. They would make distinctly different SM's for sure, I guess I have some more thinking and decision making before I buy. I was hoping to quickly get one going before the winter hits but I would rather be a patient and make a choice that I am going to be happy with for a few years. :thumbsup:

You ALL keep overlooking the best street motard on the planet...the MuZ Black Panther Baghira (ok, stupid last name, but...):

MZ Pic

- Reliable 660cc 5-Valve Yamaha power.

- 50hp stock and unstressed. Easy 70hp with mods

- No one else has one

- Stock with 17" fat wheels, big brakes, stainless lines

- Stock with fully adjustable WP rear shock

- Stock with fully adjustable 45mm fork

- Wide, 2-up seating that breaks in (eventually!)

- Better than other SM wind protection

- 45mpg

- Cruises at 85mph

- Neutral handling

- King of stable, but a bit heavy

WHAT CAN BEAT THIS DO-IT-ALL COMBO?

I'll say WR.I am probably biased,I think a YZ426/450 makes a great street bike. not comfortable at all. plenty 'o pep for the freeway.always starts with one kick or 2. MVC-035S.JPG

"You ALL keep overlooking the best street motard on the planet...the MuZ Black Panther Baghira (ok, stupid last name, but...):

WHAT CAN BEAT THIS DO-IT-ALL COMBO? "

A KTM Duke II or 625 SMC. The MZ's motor IS nice, though...