Sign in to follow this  

Replacing my WR250F 2001, Suggestions please

Hey all,

About a month ago I bought a used WR250F (2001), gosh this bike is a pain in the ass.

It's impossible to start easy, after bringing it 2 times to the [@#$%&*!] shop it still maybe starts a bit better (still got stuck 20 min after it stalled when the engine was very hot) but it still stalls and the starting is just killing you after the bike get shuts off after riding an hour and being tired, then kicking the starter like 50 times.

So that's it, I'm replacing it. Sicking tired of it, pissed of and disappointed and to tell you the truth I don't have time to start fixing the problems it has with the starting and start installing a 2003 cam, with timing, start to play with jetting, and DSP powernow, powerlater, bla bla.

So now, I might buy a 2004 model if I can get a good deal on'em, if not, 2005, all brand new:

-WR250F brand new WITH(!!!!!) electric start

-CRF250X 2004/5

-CRF250R 2004/5

-KX125/YZ125 2004/5

Does the CRF250X have less power then my current WR250F? cause I love the powerband the WR250F has (when it's working).

I dont ride motocross, I ride trails, woods/forest and sand.

I'm 5'11-6' and weight like 150lbs, i'm not a novice I guess.

Electric start is not a MUST as you see, but I need a bike that will start on the damn FIRST KICK (like the CRF250R), so if any of the bikes I listed have any (any!) starting problems they are off the subject, PERIOD.

Going to buy the bike Tuesday I hope,

Please tell me what you think.

Thanks.

WR450, that is my suggestion...

BTW... everyone I know with a WR loves em, 250 and 450. Your starting problems are probably a jetting issue. Don;t give up and buy a new bike when a 2 dollar jet can maybe fix it. Also, the shop guys sometimes screw it up more than fix it. Just my thought to try to save you 5 grand... hit the letting forum and learn about the FCR carb and all the info related to the WR jetting. Have you changed the plug?

DRZ 400 is gets my vote great easy starting electric start and everyone says just as easy to kick start it. Reliable. Great power. Great overall bike unless you ride all motocross.

-WR250F brand new WITH(!!!!!) electric start

E-start is nice but its not a fix for bad tuning. I'd say jetting is your problem on the WR... if kicking it 20 times wont start it, cranking it 20 times with the e-start wont either.

A well tuned bike will kickstart on the 1st or second kick. I'd suggest fixing the tuning instead of buying another bike that may or may not be tuned any better.

CRF250x sounds like the bike you are looking for. With an aftermarket (or stock crf250r) muffler and a cam change, the bike will have nearly as much power as the crf250r motocross bike and power similar to an uncorked wr250f. If you leave it stock, it would have power similar to a corked up wr250f.

Get real. whos going to buy your WR250 when they come to ride it and it wont start? Learn about tuning the bike. Then next bike may have jetting issues and your in the same boat(that is if you can sell yours to buy a new one). If you dont have the time then try to MAKE time. I cant IMAGINE owning an offroad bike without time or knowledge of how to do simple mechanics to it.

You say you took it to a shop? Bad move #1.

RTFM, learn about working on your own bike then.....

Go to the free mods page for the WR250.

Learn the schit, dial your bike in and ride it.

:thumbsup:

I have never ridden the CRF250X but I know a lot of people love them. From what I have read, the CRF's strong suit is it's handling, and the WR is the motor. The reviews that I have read say that they like the CRF motor, but Yamaha's is just better. I have heard that both bikes are great, people will usually prefer one over the other.

These newer four stroke carbs have a lot of adjustment in them. If you buy a new WR or CRF and uncork it, disconnect the grey/pink wire, open up the airbox you risk having the bike run crappy again. This is when the tuning comes in. My husband's WR never ran as bad as your discribing, but it did take alot of trial and error to get it right.

If you want the 04 so you can have the e-start, and the different ergos, little lighter etc, then go for it. If it is just out of fustration because your bike is not running right, I would start playing with it yourself. I have found that the dealers don't alway's have the indepth knowedge about the tuning that the TT'ers have. It's not just main, pilot, and needle. There's AC pump, leak jets, and different carb mods on the older bikes. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Get a big KTM 450exc with the Electric start. May add 7 pounds but trying to kick that thing is like trying to jump 20 feet high.

The WR250F year 2001/2002 are known for starting problems, and I don't want to start fixing all the things that make starting easier on it, I want a bike that starts normal, if it needs tuning i'll tune it.

By the way I don't want to buy a bike with anti compression lever, I want it automatic.

What are the best mods for CRF250X power wise?

You just started a new thread. If you were happy with a stock WR 250 then you will be happy with a CRF250X with the Honda power up kit. Just do it and go one step at a time.

If you were happy with a stock WR 250 then you will be happy with a CRF250X with the Honda power up kit. Just do it and go one step at a time.

I wouldn't compare a stock wr250f to a modded crf250x. They would both be very similar in stock forms with the crf maybe having SLIGHTLY less power because it's a green sticker bike.

From what I've heard, all the crf250x needs is a new muffler, some wire to be disconnected and then rejetted. Some change the cam, some don't.

The WR250F year 2001/2002 are known for starting problems, and I don't want to start fixing all the things that make starting easier on it, I want a bike that starts normal, if it needs tuning i'll tune it.

By the way I don't want to buy a bike with anti compression lever, I want it automatic.

What are the best mods for CRF250X power wise?

The few people I know that have the 01/02 usually have no problems starting them. :thumbsup: Once they got the feel of it, no problem.

As suggested, go to the WR250 forum and jet your bike properly and do all hte free mods. In my opinion, I'd keep the bike you have because is weighs 10 lbs. less than the current WR250.

My WR426 was a mother to start until I did the jetting. If it gets flooded, change the plug.

You didn't say if you are doing "the drill". My guess is that you came from a 2stroke background. If you have to ask what "the drill" is, you're starting the bike wrong. The WR250F's are not that hard to start if you do the drill. I can't tell you how many times I've seen somebody just thrashing on their kick starter only to have a experienced YZ/WR rider come over and kick it over first kick. Always jaws dropping. Learn about TDC, increasing the idle screw, the hot start and not touching the throttle. Any of the 4 strokes can be cranky starting when hot at times. If you know all about the drill and the hot start, I'm sorry, but you sounded inexperienced. BTW, it's not an "anti compression" lever - it's a de-compression lever.

Yeah I studied "the drill" from ThumperFAQ and i've seen other people with the same bike do it, so I think i'm doing it currectly.

I do come from a 2-stroke backround tho..

Anyway, I am probably buying a CRF250X tomorrow.

Congrats on the new scoot.

I just read the review of the '05 CRF250 in Dirtrider. Sounds like Honda beefed up the engine a bit this year. I'm not sure how well the engine holds up, but it sounds like it's probably the best 250 4-stroke out there. :thumbsup:

My top five suggestions:

1. Newer WR 250F (2003 or newer has e-start)

2. WR 450F

3. CRF 250X (450X if it ever comes out)

4. TE 450

5. TE 510

Thanks,

I couldn't wait for the 2005 model, and anyway I would have to add more money, I got this one for pretty good price.

About engine power, if it has same or more then my stock (engine wise) WR250F 01' i'll be happy, atleast for now.

If not I guess I can spend a little on it.