Sign in to follow this  

Is the yz250f for me?

Hey guys. Right now I ride a xr400 on mostly trails. I went to the last TT southwest mx track day in Gorman and got hooked even though I was on the 400. I definitely noticed the lack of suspension, throttle response, and turning ability on a track (where that bike doesn't belong.) That day I decided that I was going to buy a mx bike ... but which one. I just started riding one year ago and just beat the crap out of my 400.

I've been looking at the crf450s and then a friend of a friend is selling his yz250f. I just rode it today and WOW!! going from a xr400 to the yamaha was day and night. I know the crf450 would be too much for me now but I could get used to it. Do you find that the yz250f is enough bike or do you want to upgrade to a bigger bike? I weigh 200lbs. at 6'0". The bike I'm lookin at has been ridden a lot but well taken care of and he's asking $3500. It's a 2003 yz250f. What are your opinions/ thoughts? thanks. joe :devil::thumbsup:

I came off of an XR350. I liked its tractor-like torque, but the 250 yammy is so much more fun. It's a lot lighter, faster and more agile. The XR is also much less maintenance hungry. If you don't change the oil and air filter religiously you'll trash the much more high strung YZF. It's definitely worth the extra effort though. I'm 6' and 210 w/o gear, and the 250F pulls me around just fine.