Sign in to follow this  

Dunlop 606 tires- use regular or HD tubes?

With the stiffer sidewalls of the DOT 606 tires, are you guys using regular tubes or do you find the HD tubes still give you better flat protection?

Any drawbacks to HD tubes? Does the increased weight affect handling or agility?

Thanks, Kokopelli

I run the heavy tubes, the other day was riding the street on a flat tire didn't even know it, the tire also spun ,but the heavy tube must have kept it on the rim. Once I got the tube out it was scored all the way around by a metal steel staple. Thats how I knew the tire spun, it was jabbed and prodded all the way around. Standard tube would have come completely unglued and collasped and the tire would have come off the rim, no rim lock also.

I run HD tubes and 1 rimlock per wheel with wheel weights opposite the rim lock to get wheel reasonably balanced. It may seem like overkill but I'm on the cautious side of things since do get out in the boonies a ways. The handling doesn't feel like any negative effects from this setup that I can tell. I ride 5% paved to get to my 95% dirt riding. Been happy for 3 seasons and 3 sets of D606's so far since got bike in '02.

I always run ultra H/D tubes. Riding in the wilderness the extra cost and wieght is well worth it!!. For motocross it may not be worth it but for seriuos offroad riding it is, (in my opinion?), worth it. + I really hate having to stop and do a flat repair on the trail when I could be having fun!!. :thumbsup: