Sign in to follow this  

looking to get into trials, just have a few questions

Hi, Ive been lookin alot a trials bikes and things latley and it looks like a blast! I just have a few questions. I know they arent really designed for it, but can you jump a trials bike? How fast can you go on a trials bike? And if I do get into trials, what is a good bike for a beginer. I am 5'5" amd around 120-130. I want to get into trials because i am always geting into touble on my xr 100 and 600 going over to rough of terrain and tring to climb to steep of hills. Any imput will be appretiated!

p.s. How well can trials wheelie? I mean it seems like they must have alot of troq to be able to climb some of those hillls!

Trials bikes can be jumped like any MX-er if you're so inclined. Check out any of the world indoor champ rounds and you'll see high jumps equal to FMX step-up contests. There's a video on the net (can't find the link at the moment) of a French rider backflipping a GasGas, Pastrana-style. If that's your thing, the bike will do it. Trials bikes emphatically are NOT built for speed: 1st to 4th gears tend to be very low and closely-spaced while 5th and 6th are much higher and are generally only used rarely for road transitions between sections (in events like the SSDT for example) or on long sections of trail. I'd guess 50 - 60mph max but like I said, that's not the point of a trials bike.

All modern trials bikes are excellent, without exception so just about any model from any manufacturer from '98 onwards will be fine to get started. It really comes down to your local dealer. If they sell Sherco, buy a Sherco. If they sell GasGas... you get the idea. I own a Beta Rev-3 at the moment and love it to bits but I've owned a GasGas in the past and it was great. I've ridden Montesas and found those to be very easy to ride as well. Don't make the mistake of thinking that because it's "only" a 250 it won't be fun. A 125cc trials bike will pull you up just about anything if ridden properly and 200cc is plenty for a beginner. Spending a lot of money on a GasGas 280 Pro Raga (for example) is a quick route for a novice to dislocated shoulders and/or the emergency room. I'm not tryin' to scare ya (far from it), just trust me on this.

This being ThumperTalk, take a look at the Scorpa SY125 or (if you're prepared to wait a couple of months), the new Montesa RTL250F or Sherco 3.2.

I say this to everyone who tells me that they're thinking of getting into trials (and I've said it here before as well): Ride a trials bike and your MX/enduro bike will hardly ever see daylight again. It's just incredible fun and will improve your riding skills like you won't believe. Trials is, IMHO, the purest form of motorcycle sport where the machinery is so closely matched that it's all about the skill and bravery of the rider. Except at the absolute highest levels of the sport, horsepower means nothing. NOTHING. Skill is everything.

Go for it, good luck and have fun!

After riding enduros, HS, trails and such for 25 years I went to see my first Trials. They had a national in the Dayton Ohio area. I had seen video's before so I knew what the bikes/riders could do. What amazed me was how friendly and laidback everyone was. It looks like a great family sport, there were several teenage and younger girls doing it. Also much safer than an Enduro where your out in the woods with noone around. I think I need a trials bike! :thumbsup:

You'll notice trials brings a certain type of people. Friendly and easy going. The hot headed type of people don't seem to have the patience. They can't just twist and go. Much more mental...

We have all age groups, from 5 years to our oldest competitor, who I think is 80...