Sign in to follow this  

Need help - quick

Going to look at a used 2004 CRF250x today. Bike was bought last winter and was one of the first in my area. I've heard of a few issues with them. What should I be looking for and asking the owner?

Something about oil leaks?

Sorry about not using the search function, but I'm going to look at the bike this morning.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The issues you hear are with the 250R not so much the 250X and they are not that frequent. My X has been flawless so far. Ask if he ever checked the valves, regular oil changes, what oil he was using. Lift the hood and kick the tires. Just remember the 05's are coming out so paying to much for a used one just to get one is not a good idea.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Valves are about the only issue, if its been rode any lenght of time, its probably ready for some head work and a piston. Ask if the valve have been adj. yet, if yes, then head work is rigth around the corner figure about $700 for vavle job and piston

good luck Dave

Valves are about the only issue, if its been rode any lenght of time, its probably ready for some head work and a piston. Ask if the valve have been adj. yet, if yes, then head work is rigth around the corner figure about $700 for vavle job and piston

good luck Dave

Do the Honda pistons really need to be replaced that often? I know guys with 2001 yz250fs that are still on the original piston and rings and they still run strong and don't burn any oil.

good luck Dave

$700? How did you figure that price?

Sorry it took so long to get back just got from the mtn.. That price was a guestament. I just bought all honda parts piston, valves, springs gaskets etc. I'll tally up the parts and I'll have the head back on wed. so I'll have all the cost with myself doing the R & R labor. I am getting the head ported and the base of the jug shave to get a little high compression. I'll break out those prices seperately. I should have a final cost on thur. :thumbsup:

Just added up my parts list I'll let you know how much the head work was when I get the bill

CRF 250 X top end and valve job

Parts 1. 2 intake valve $113.82

2. 2 ex. vavle $ 65.60

3. 2 intake springs $ 8.44

4. 2 ex springs $ 10.04

5. 4 valve seals $ 20.60

6 4 spring seats $ 10.20

7. 4 retainers spring $ 21.68

8 1 piston $ 54.87

9 1 ring set $ 30.51

10. 1 base gasket $ 6.55

11. 1 wrist pin $ 16.56

12. 1 head gasket $ 14.91

13. 2 clips $ 2.08

14. 1 spark plug $ 14.00

15 total $389.86

All honda parts list price

Dave

Here's the total for my top end and valve job

Parts

1. 2 intake valve $113.82

2. 2 ex. vavle $ 65.60

3. 2 intake springs $ 8.44

4. 2 ex springs $ 10.04

5. 4 valve seals $ 20.60

6 4 spring seats $ 10.20

7. 4 retainers spring $ 21.68

8 1 piston $ 54.87

9 1 ring set $ 30.51

10. 1 base gasket $ 6.55

11. 1 wrist pin $ 16.56

12. 1 head gasket $ 14.91

13. 2 clips $ 2.08

14. 1 spark plug $ 14.00

15 total parts $389.86

16. labor $160.00 vavle job and resurface jug

totat parts and labor$549.86

All honda parts list price

right side ex. valve was junk also. this shop is pretty top notch

PS the head is done after this one the next job he says I'll need a new head :thumbsup:

good question ,I'll call him and find out what was wearing out and why it could be repaired