Sign in to follow this  

Preschool question

I hate to ask this question but I don't have anyone with experience to ride with who would probably know...

My first outing with my bike took me up a dirt hill climb that was well worn by 4x4 trucks and the like. It made a curve to the right so I could not see what was coming until too late.. huge cupped out holes from the 4x4's slipping and digging in. When I hit them, it was front tire in, front tire up, rear tire in and tom goes off. Scared the confidence right out of me as it was rather steep to turn around and go back. I simply avoided the stuff after that.

Since then I run across these cupped out areas (I don't know the dirt bike riding terms for these holes) I look for a line on the rim of each cup to ride through. But I have a new challenge getting to an area I want to ride and found I have to pass through a relatively difficult section of these cups to get there. They are about 1 to 1.5 yards across and about 2 ft deep and I can't see a clear line to cut across the sides.

These are on a really smooth dirt road at the top of the hill and I suppose I could ride around them but I wonder what you all do when you hit these things?

thanks, tom

Greetings.

It seems the size and shape of these things would be perfect to ruin most peoples days. I'd ride around them if possible, if not try drop the back wheel in with enough momentum to get the front wheel safely to the top of the other side. There aren't many problems you'll encounter on the dirt that more throttle (in controlled amounts)won't fix.

Good luck.

Well, I agree with you about that. Powering up and out is the best way. I do hit them standing on the pegs and so the first one is easy, front wheel in and out and rear follows with some throttle I'm out. The trouble is the next one as the front drops in the rear kicks up hard at the same moment the front is now coming up and out of the hole. The bike simply disappears from below me as I am way high in the air at that very moment so as the bike is coming out of the second hole, I am coming down towards the bike fast. The result is always disastrous. :thumbsup:

Tom, most folks call these ruts. Try wheelie-ing across the first one. That way you'll still have some control over the front wheel when you reach the second rut. You can keep yourself up off of the seat and maintain better control. You don't have to cross them fast, just under control.

Okay, I'll give a try. Not a bad idea.

Uhh, ruts. Hmm, I have heard that term before. :thumbsup:

thanks,tom

Since then I run across these cupped out areas (I don't know the dirt bike riding terms for these holes) I look for a line on the rim of each cup to ride through. But I have a new challenge getting to an area I want to ride and found I have to pass through a relatively difficult section of these cups to get there. They are about 1 to 1.5 yards across and about 2 ft deep and I can't see a clear line to cut across the sides.

this explanation makes it sound like what you encountered was a really whooped out section of the trail. (ie.--- lots of 1.5 yards wide by 2 feet deep "cups" in succession). whoops are initially difficult because, like so many other obstacles on a dirt bike, you have to learn that they are much easier if you go through them faster. but getting to the point where you can ride through them in third or fourth gear means you have to ride a lot and build your confidence on the bike. just start slow, the speed will come with time. as you get a little better, you'll want to be standing up and leaning back slightly to keep your weight towards the back of the bike. :thumbsup:

I know you are correct about this as everything I read is the same.. speed. And it does take confidence. I was thinking about it last night and I do the same thing for smaller obstacles, just hit them with speed and you really skim over them. I was on a ride in Colorado with Steve Hatch and some others and I remember him saying how they would simply "jump over" many of the 20 odd feet of obstacles on the trail. I think I now understand better. They ride really fast so I guess that is it. Speed and keep the front light.

I think I now understand better. They ride really fast so I guess that is it. Speed and keep the front light.

Be careful! The speed thing may well be the right answer BUT if your abilities aren't there yet than you could well be headed for a bad injury.

A really good rider friend of mine told me that speed should only come with experience. After having a fall where I was well outta of my scope (only a few months on a bike) I've gone back to believing him! Took 4 months for that one to heal.

especially on the drz. The suspension is not very forgiving in some situations. Ive got my cranked all the way on my 02. If you can take these obstacles slow for now it would be your best bet, just keep your weight leaning up hill incase you have to go down you wont fall as far.

Depending on how steep the hill is you might be able to jump a set.

I'm guessing you're not talking about whoops (meaning on level ground). Hill whoops are much tougher, and I was pretty daunted by my first set as well. I ended up treating the first like a jump (I love uphill jumps btw... :thumbsup:) and managed to clear the second set. You might try this, and I'll admit, there were only two sets on my hill...

reduce the damping in the rear shock, get your weight over the rear seat, and above all stand up. Let your butt touch the seat and it's launch time.

Grip the bike with your ankles and let it rock back and forth below you just like one of those crazy spring held rocking horses for kids.

You can go fast or slow in that position, as long as you let the bike rock. When you get better you can learn to hold the front tire up so it smooths the ride out some.

You folks are the best! I go out tomorrow to check it out. I decided to go slower at first. Attempt it a few times and then just ride on for the rest of the day. Next outing, try some more. Can't afford an injury because I owe, I owe. :devil: Thanks for all your advice! :thumbsup:

forget about loosining the damping on the drz. you should have everything turned in all the way, even then it is too sloppy. you can do whoops on a stock s but it is difficult. if the drz is your only ride i would consider revalving.

Best thing to do is not let the front wheel into the hole, small wheelie over, letting off the gas, then another small wheelie to get over the next one, keep going fast enough to stay upright and stay on the pegs, think trials bike rider. Depending on how wide the trail is, you may be able to miss one of them. I ride about 10 foot in front of my front wheel picking my line, and deciding where I am going before I get there. That depends on how fast your are going though. It keeps you from getting into a bad spot and wondering how you got there. :thumbsup:

Okay, I went out. I did chicken out and ride around the first time. Came back downhill through them taking my sweet time and it was no big deal. Problem is uphill, momentum, picking the line and trying to keep it all is still challenging. I decided to take it a piece at a time. Next outing, I'll take another stab at it until I get there. By the way, I come off two 4 ft rock drops and was so impressed that the bike simply rolled right off and hit bottom as gentle as she pleases. I was expecting a crash. So each time it gets better. Thanks again for all your support. :thumbsup: