Sign in to follow this  

2001 KLX300 Exhaust noise

I have a 2001 KLX 300 with a White brothers E series exhaust, does any one know if this combo will exceed the 96DB limit in CA? Is anyone aware if the authorities are really checking, and if so where. If the combo is too noise is there any way to quite it down w/o changing the exhaust?

Thanks

First off, welcome to TT, you can learn a lot from these forums. I highly doubt that white bros exhaust is too loud for california, because the KLXs are really quiet to start out with. If you're really worried, I would reccomend leaving the stock muffler with you in your truck or trailer when you go to ride on forest service land, and if they are checking that day (doesn't happen often, only once a month or so around here) then you can do a voluntary check, and they'll run the numbers and emissions junk, and if you fail, then go put the stock muffler back on.

Hope this helps

Kevin

Dave, welcome to TT. Most of the white bros mufflers that I have heard have been on hondas or yamahas and they are really loud. If you have to ask, it's probably too loud. Even 96dB bikes piss people off and we're loosing land faster than we can ride it in CA. All of apple valley just got restricted (it's a fine to be closer than 200 yards to any structure) and if what I hear is correct, we just lost over 3 Million acres in the Lucerene/Johnson Valley/Ridgecrest areas. Why? Too loud exhausts are a primary concern with the increasing population in the desert. If you want tangible data on your exhaust, take your bike to Hungry Valley and the rangers will be happy to test it for you. Less sound = more ground.