Sign in to follow this  

Riding question

I posted this in the off road riding technique but not getting much play. Since I have the DRZ400, I'll ask here too. :thumbsup:

Original post:

I hate to ask this question but I don't have anyone with experience to ride with who would probably know...

My first outing with my bike took me up a dirt hill climb that was well worn by 4x4 trucks and the like. It made a curve to the right so I could not see what was coming until too late.. huge cupped out holes from the 4x4's slipping and digging in. When I hit them, it was front tire in, front tire up, rear tire in and tom goes off. Scared the confidence right out of me as it was rather steep to turn around and go back. I simply avoided the stuff after that.

Since then I run across these cupped out areas (I don't know the dirt bike riding terms for these holes) I look for a line on the rim of each cup to ride through. But I have a new challenge getting to an area I want to ride and found I have to pass through a relatively difficult section of these cups to get there. They are about 1 to 1.5 yards across and about 2 ft deep and I can't see a clear line to cut across the sides.

These are on a really smooth dirt road at the top of the hill and I suppose I could ride around them but I wonder what you all do when you hit these things?

thanks, tom

I agree, I crashed pretty hard last summer (on my old bike) hitting one of those. If I would of pinned it momentum would of carried me over instead of doing a header into the other side :thumbsup:

This is one reason I ride such a geared down bike. I can either get on the gas hard while standing or slow down while downshifting and litterally just cruise right through that bad stuff. With 13/50 on my E it's a tank on steep anything. I ride how I feel like riding. If the back isn't acting up I can climb it in 4th. Or mess around and do it in second. Makes no difference to the DRZ it goes up it anyways I choose. The only drawback is a 55 mph topend. prairiedawg :thumbsup::devil:

Yup just floor it and hold on tight. She will pull through almost anything under serious throttle. Its when you go too slow that you crash. :thumbsup::devil::awww:

:lol:

I appreciate all the replies. Barton recommended the same thing basically, suggesting to keep it under control and perhaps wheelie-ing into the first one. He called my cupped out road "ruts" so I'll go with that. I have always had a fear of gassing the bike to go over because my speed is usually too slow to matter, gassing was not necessarily good. But I do have very low gearing so I'll give it a try. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Its amazing how this bike sucks up woops/dips/rocks. All previous bikes I have owned have been motocross bikes and it was real easy to get crossed up and hurt yourself but on the 400 I look at [@#$%&*!] and about poop my pants but the damn thing just goes right through them...don't go overboard but just give it some gas and go....Its an amazing bike and tracks well :thumbsup:

When in doubt GAS IT :thumbsup:

and momentum is your friend.

I also say to myself "don't think, just do it"

Throttle and a stand up postion on the bike will get you through that stuff easy. Make sure your suspension is set up properly. :thumbsup:

Yes gas it, lift the front wheel across the hole. Not a massive wheelie, just keep the front wheel level or a little higher. This is easier with a little speed as you don't need to hold the front off the ground for as long. Stand up of course :devil:

Where the front wheel goes, the back will follow! :thumbsup:

Okay guys, I appreciate all the advice! :thumbsup: I go out tommorrow to try it out and I will take it easy at first and try try again until I get the technique and confidence up. Let you know later how it goes. :devil:

Okay guys, I appreciate all the advice! :thumbsup: I go out tommorrow to try it out and I will take it easy at first and try try again until I get the technique and confidence up. Let you know later how it goes. :devil:

Take it easy is the exact opposite that everyone is telling you try NOT taken it easy!! Just go from 1/4 throttle to 3/4 and if you hit too hard get your suspension done!

Tippsalot,

AS mentioned taking it easy isn't going to work, but I understand your desire to hesitate, try this instead, find a nice level piece of trail and start practicing getting the front tire in the air, not big wheelies but getting it up and getting it up as fast as you can, now find some shallow ruts and try going through these the same way.

Aways give it 100% but start with a level of difficulty you are comfortable with and work from there, in a day or two of this you will be flying. Give it too hard on something to difficult will result in you or the bike getting hurt and you now have a new hurdle to get over. Lack of confidence.