Sign in to follow this  

oil and things

Hi All.

I've just bought an imported xr250, 1998, what i need to know is what type of oil and how much of the stuff does it need on a oil change?

Whats the best way to check the oil level, engine running or stopped?

Sorry for daft questions but if you dont know you gotta ask.

Steve

the xr 250 will hold about a quart and a half of oil( i dont know the exact measurement). i would suggest running some kind of synthetic oil in your bike. a motorcycle specific oil would probably be the best, but i run mobil 1 redcap and havent had any problems out of it. i usually run about 300 miles between oil changes and change the oil filter every other oil change. when changing the oil, pour the 1st quart in, and let the bike idle for 3-5 minutes, and then pour the rest in. after pouring all of the oil in, i like to ride my bike around the yard for a few minutes and then recheck it. when i finish riding it, i like to let it idle for a minute or 2 before i check it though to make sure the oil level is right. it's best to check the oil immediately after turning the bike off so the oil level doesnt have time to drop.

hope you enjoy your new bike :thumbsup:

Go to e-bay and buy a manual; Honda or Clymer: model and year specific. Best $20 you'll ever spend. It gives most specs and all fluid levels. There is a pretty specific way to check the oil, too. The dipstick is rarely correct. Again, in the manual. Otherwise, do a search in this forum, all your questions are answered already. And I mean ALL :thumbsup: This place rocks, keep checkin' it out. Good luck, and have a great time on that new ride.

Hi All.

I've just bought an imported xr250, 1998, what i need to know is what type of oil and how much of the stuff does it need on a oil change?

Steve

Check oil engine dead and upright.

NEVER EVER use an automotive oil in your bike. Use only a Motorcycle specific Synthetic or semi-synthetic oil with a JASO [MA] rating. I have seen too many oil failures in XR250 engines as they tend to run very hot and stress the hell out of cheap oils.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Hi All.

Steve

Hi all,

thanks for all replies, very usefull, I should of mentioned I'm in the UK, we dont appear to have any sites like this here so keep up the good work.