Sign in to follow this  

2003 CRF450r What is the sag for this year bike???

Starting point for any bike's race sag is 95-100mm. I usually set it at 98. Once that is done, check your free sag, too. That is the sag with just the bike weight. Put the bike on a stand to measure from the axle to the seat bolt for total non-sag distance. Then set the bike down on two wheels and let it settle in under it's own weight. Then measure it again. That is your free sag. If it's more than 35mm the spring is too stiff. If it's less than 15mm than the spring is too soft. I know that sounds backward but it's not. If tthe back is too soft, than the front may be too soft as well. Now, I like my front a bit stiffer than the back because it allows me to charge harder into turns and helps keep the front end up a bit better in the whoops. But it makes turning a bit harder as the front doesn't settle into the turn as easy. If the rear sag is set too stiff it will make turning a bit knifey. It will rid like a stink bug. McGrath likes it that way though. But then, he is the King.

thanks for the help with the sag. looks like todays riding is going to be a complete washout dut to francis here in gainesville fl. for your 98 setting, how did you come up with that number/ also is that the setting in the honda manual?

thanks

john