Sign in to follow this  

An 85 sp 600 f !!

I originally bought the old thumper to get around town. Had just moved back from the Islands and was'nt sure how long I'd be intown so decided on a inexpensive something that if I wanted to I could go riding with my buddies. KTM 620 and acouple of new breed WR 426/YZ450, CRF 450. Well after a few rides to regain my comfort level in the desert I was soon keeping up with the newbies. But...the old 85 was getting thrashed.. Soon I was adjusting valves about every 5-600 miles. So I guess my question is how much is too much if there is a thing? and just on this last adjustment I'm experiencing a ...pistonslap/wrapping out/revlimiter type of feel at high rpms in 1st-2nd gears. New to me since the 3000 miles I've put on the bike( not while riding off road trying to keep up!) Its turned into a daily commuter since the last tune up due to the 01 wr426, So I was wondering if any of you dr ers had any insight to the frequency of a valve adjustment should have to be done? Or if this is a sighn of some bad things...expensive things to start happening? :thumbsup:

You have an 85 that sounds like it has had many miles put on it in the desert. The valve springs are beat if you are adjusting them valves every 500-600 miles. STOP riding the bike now, and replace whatever is damaged. I bike that runs in high temp areas and is only air cooled can't be expected to hold out as long as a bike in mild climates. One more thing, desert riding has lots of high speeds and lots of direct sunlight. High rpm's kill the oil fast. I hope you get it taken care of. Personally, I'd restore the thing to mint and buy a newer bike to thrash in the dirt. Dual sports aren't truly made for off road usage. Especially older ones.