Sign in to follow this  

changing needle on an X

I just changed my main for the better, went up to a 155 and bike's top end is now great. I wanted to change the needle with removing the carb and seems impossible. I rotated the carb the opposite way like some of you guys say and still can't seem to access the rear bolt on the top of the carb. Don't tell me I have to pull this carb out to change a needle. Please help as this seems to be a very negative part of this ( or all ) 4 strokes. My 2 smoke buddies laugh as they watch and tell me the time and aggravation is equivalent to doing a top end on their bikes. Any further detailed ideas. I bought the ball end hex drive from sudco and that still doesn't seem to give me the room. Thanks guys.

I took the tank off, loosened the clamps full, and everything else to get at the top of the carb. I could see it touch and still seems to interfere witht the frame, etc. I know a lot of you guys say this is possible.

Take gastank off.Loosen carb clamps.Looking down on carb,rotate top of carb to right.Only loosen allen on top.Rotate to left,loosen all the way.(Screws are made so they don't come out of the top cover)Rotate cover.Turn throttle all the way;to raise slide.Loosen needle jet retaining setscrew.(needlenose or tweezers work well after loosened)With tool provided with bike;small rod with rubber hose on end.With slide up,push onto end of needle.Pull out needle;may have to move slide alittle.Take your time.P.S.setscrew has loctite on it,may be alittle tight :thumbsup:

I couldnt get at it without takin it out, I hate messin with it, I had to take it out twice now its the biggest pain in the ass. :awww::lol::devil::D:thumbsup:

Re-jetted yesterday. And yes it is a pain. Take the tank off, loosen clamps on carb. and attack from the top. There is a large bracket above the carb. which I take off to make it easier to get to.

It also helps if you have the allen wrenches that are rounded on the end to help go at the allen bolts at an angle. Works great for me!

CRF250Xrider is right. Use ball end allens. After you remove the top, turn the throttle WFO and loosen the allen plug that holds down the needle, lay a small magnet on the allen blade to remove it, or use a extension magnet ($2.00 at most auto parts) to fish it out. Then use your Honda needle tool to lift out the needle. I think the main and pilot jets are a bigger pain in the ass than the needle.....

Have just changed mine... when installing a JD jetting kit.

Just take the tank off, and the head steady bracket off to make access a doddle, and the carb rotates easier with that bracket off too. As previous post said... changing the needle is easy compared with jet changes...

Just take your time, and once you've done it a couple of times, you'll do it with your eyes shut.

Will

The needle can be removed easily with the seat and tank off, carb clamps loosened, and using LONG 3mm and 4mm Allen wrenches.

Rotate the carb left and right with the 3mm wrench to get the 2 allen head bolts loose. They stay on the small cover when you lift it off.

medium.jpg

Put a dab of grease on the end of the 4mm wrench and the locking screw will stay with the wrench as it's unscrewed and lifted out. There will be a spring and brass washer with the nut. Lift it out slowly and carefully.

Turn the throttle open to bring the slide to the top, making access easier.

medium.jpg

The Honda needle removal tool that came with your bike is needed to easily lift the needle out. Have the throttle wide open again for this.

James

medium.jpg

Note---I've never removed the bracket to replace the needle and have done this dozens of times. The right tools make the job simple.

Thanks for everything guys. You were right, it was t*t! The service manual had me removing the whole top, the two screws with the cable guide. Boy what a mistake that would have been. Thanks again!