Sign in to follow this  

Don't like your KXF\RMZ Forks ?

I was getting pretty frustrated with my KX250F forks. Harsh, choppy, I couldn't turn into corners unless the corner was super smooth. Today after two faceplants we got out the video camera and did some videos. Then played them back in slo-mo. Going into corners the front wheel would compress, but not much, then float. The front tire after a hit was not on the ground, there was daylight between the rubber and terra firma. Having played with the oil level and clickers it was time for something radical. I turned out the compression (bottom of fork) and rebound (top of fork) both the 17 clicks out. Yes, the UNHEARD OF 17 CLICKS OUT. (My frustration getting the best of me with the screwdriver.) 17 Clicks out sounds stupid, but I was at my limit of pain with these forks. Usually I am a 5-8 click kind of guy. For the first time I can turn into a corner at speed and have some confidence in these Kayaba forks. If you are having problems with your Kayaba forks on your RMZ KXF, try the stupid setting of 17 clicks out. I'll probably end up with 15ish. While I was at it I took both the compression and rebound on the rear to 17 clicks out, which was too soft. But it seems like a better starting point. I weigh about 150, mid pack amatuer rider, lots of desert racing experience, no supercross, some MX, but mostly desert. With these settings my KXF is like a different bike turning into choppy corners, little soft on big hits, but actually comfortable now turning into corners at speed. Hope this helps.

17 clicks out would never work on a mx track. i weigh 130 at 5'8 and mine clickers are at 10 on compression and rebound on forks and shock 8 on rebound and 10 on compression. and my bike feels still to soft. but maybe for desert it might be suitable for 17 clicks. but i was just giving my insight on how thats too soft for mx

Yes, Kxmike, I agree it'd be too soft for MX. Thanks for the feedback. When I had my clickers around 10 I still had problems turning into a corner with chop. Everywhere else the forks felt ok, just turning into corners was unsettling. I've always liked my forks a bit on the soft side. I tend to favor riding on the rear and use the front just for turning into corners. Everywhere else under acceleration the front is light so it is not as noticeable. Through the whoops I sit back and try to keep the front end light. Landing and turning into corners is where I really use the front end. The rear seems pretty decent on this bike. I am close to your settings. I am wondering if raising the forks 5mm in the clamps to lower the front (change the rake angle) would make that much of a difference? I'd rather avoid the headshake on the fast stuff though. (wish I had Showa's on this bike) Thanks again for the feedback. Anybody else with suggestions?

Im around 150 pounds with no gear on...and i bought a used mono spring off of a 02 yz250F which fit me perfect. Stock on our bikes we have a 5.0 kg/blah blah...but the yz's come with 4.8 mono shocks....which fit me perfect. The 5.0 spring is for a 165-175 pound rider.