Metal Tank required?

I've noticed how all the dual sport bikes these days have metal gas tanks; Are these required for every state to be legal? I'm trying to make my 225 road legal, and I've been wondering if it's plastic tank would be a problem. By the way, does anyone know what the dual sport requirements are in Georgia? Is it possible to dual sport my bike? I know you're all gonna say I should've bought the XT 225, but it's like $2000 more than the TTR and it's not set up for hard woods riding. I am going to only be on the roads every once in a while and I'll be going from trail to trail; so I don't need it to be a highway machine. I already have a headlight on it, so I'm one step closer. My dad and I had to splice and solder some wires because I couldn't find a factory replacement switch; and I'm only using the high beam light while the low beam is disconnected. Is this going to be a problem?

Thanks in advance ?

Metal tank on dual sports is a myth kept going by dirt bike magazines. Their is no DOT requirement for them. My factory dual sport Husky TE610E came with a plastic tank, I believe KTM dual sports also. Triumph and Aprilla street bikes come with plastic tanks. Corporate lawyers :devil: in charge of liability issues at Jap companies put metal tanks on their dual sports not the U.S. government ?.

Norman

Your choice to DS the bike is a good one. As said before, thats a myth. I don't know why everyone says that. I have never heard of any state that requires a metal tank to pass inspection. Check your states requirements. Even if your bike does not meet all of them, it might still pass.

For example in NJ you need rear passenger pegs and a tool kit, but unless you are a jerk to the inspector you will pass.

I just passed inspection today on my TTR250. Its not an issue really, just go for it!

• Like 1

Hey man, if you think YOU live in Redneckville, you oughta come up to the Cumming, Dawsonville, Dahlonega area sometime! I'm talking INBRED man! Anyway, I've done a lot of research on this topic (I'm in Georgia BTW) and have come to the conclusion that NOBODY CAN GIVE YOU A STRAIGHTFORWARD ANSWER TO THIS. Sorry. I hate it for ya pal. I tried like hell to DS my TTR 125 and finally said SCREW IT. I bought a KLX400SR yesterday. It's not worth the hassle. If you have any questions about it, PM me if ya like. I'd be glad to share what I learned.

?

• Like 1

Flux, I went through the same thing. I'm in Georgia too and everyone and their brother (or cousin, depending on who married who) had their head up their a$$ on what whether or not it was possible to dual-sport a dirt bike legally here. I'd love to compare notes with what you have found, 'cause about two weeks ago I went and did the same thing you did, said screw it and bought a 2003 400S. Will put a Clarke tank on it though 'cause no one down here in the land of cotton seems to know anything about it.

• 1 month later...

Here is the reg, just DS'ed a bike in georgia

1: is it manufactured for offroad use only (yes/no)

2: is it more than 50cc's (yes/no)

3: does it have more than 2 hp (yes/no)

I will scan the georgia form (must be noterized) for all to see

most MSO's say "for offroad use only" except for KTM your screwed

exactly. damn the man.

In California they are required to sell street legal bikes with a steel tank and vapor recovery system + all the various safety switches,clutch,sidestand,shifter,ect.. But that does'nt mean you have to leave them on the bike!!. California laws are the worst and will cost you in after market mod,s. I don't know the laws of other states but I'd bet if you have the basics,headlight,brakelite,turn signals,horn,DOT tires,mirrors,ect., you'll be fine, OH! don't forget insurance. ?.

In California they are required to sell street legal bikes with a steel tank

I've heard this numerous times and read posts here and there about this, but is this really a fact or just a myth that's been propagated? I've looked & searched through the California vehicle codes and cannot find any reference to street bikes being required to have a steel fuel tank. Here's a link to the 2004 California vehcile code. If anyone here knows of where it references a requirement for street bikes to have a steel tank, please let me know.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm

Apparently you have ALOT more time or patience than I do!

I wasn't being sarcastic and apologize if I came across that way on this issue, but I've been wanting to get to the root of it for various reasons and was hoping you or someone could shine more light on this topic ?. This metal tank issue has been brought up numerous times on different forums and I've personally spoken to various police offers & motorcycle dealers about this very issue, some of which insisted that it's the law to have a metal tank on a street bike, but from what I can tell (and I may be wrong), it appears this metal tank requirment 'might' be all hear-say or some type of propagated myth or perhaps a previous law that's no longer in existance because I can't find it listed anywhere in the vehicle code and nobody I've communicated with has ever been able to show me where this law is listed or prove to me that it's real.

I've been misled at times (not always on purpose) by police offers, city inspectors, contractors, lawyers, business owners, real estate agents, teachers, technicians, engineers, motorcycle dealers, loan officers, tax consultants, business profesionals, etc, and if something doesn't sit well with me in my field of interest, then I try to educate myself and find facts to get to the bottom of an issue and this metal tank thing has been stuck in my craw for a while now. Maybe this law is listed in the vehicle code and I'm just missing it or not correctly interpreting it, but it's one of those many little issues that I'd like to get to the bottom of it someday.

Well since I have a TTR 225 I wonder if I put on all the reqired crap I could convince the morons at the DMV that it's the road legal XT.

It is a long standing point of discussion.. Some claim to have been ticketed, yet I've asked, many times, and no one has every been able/willing to produce the code, reg, law that was sighted as being in violation.

I've asked a lot,, 50~70 LEO's,, local and a few State Troopers some very good friends I work with every day.. those that say it is "law" and quote a reg, code or law,,,,, after looking it up,, it does not apply.. But none of these officers or troopers I've spoken to, have ever written a citation for not having a steel tank.. ?

I have done many hours of searching, state, and federal vehicle code,, and have not been able to come up with a requirement for a steel tank.

I understand,, very small subject group, and my research is neither complete, nor ,,,honestly,,,, very sound.. as it is just a haphazard approach.. but there ya have what I know on the subject.

If any one has been cited for having a non steel tank on thier bike,, please PM me with the details... If any one knows first person of someone that has been cited, please contact them, and ask if they would be willing to talk with me.

Thanks

Hell, in addition to PM'ing Bronco, why not let all of us know? I think we'd all appreciate knowing the facts.

Maybe because I asked

If any one has been cited for having a non steel tank on their bike,, please PM me with the details... If any one knows first person of someone that has been cited, please contact them, and ask if they would be willing to talk with me.

And I did not think most folks would respond by posting that kind of info to the internet for a 43K member group to view ?

Vs PM'ing me, so I could consolidate the info and post it in a way the protected the folks giving it to me, and help all understand the real deal on the issue.

It seems as if it is a manufacturing issue, legality.. Not an aftermarket one. I know CA has some funky laws on the books reference fuel containers.. And the Fed also has some rules on containers. Plus, as of about 8 years ago, international regs on fuel containers no longer allowed for steel cans at all ? (I am a certified HAZ materials shipper )

Vs PM'ing me, so I could consolidate the info and post it in a way the protected the folks giving it to me, and help all understand the real deal on the issue.

Fair enough. You'll probably give it to us straighter than anyone else would anyway. BTW, I hope you didn't take that the wrong way, Bronco. I'm simply an interested party as well. 'Preciate the updates.