Sign in to follow this  

Anyone ever send out just their base valves to be re-valved?

With a fork revalve job costing $150 or more, I was wondering if there is a cheaper way to do it? I know my way around my forks, and how to change the shims in my base valve, but I don't have any spare shims to play with, nor would I know what shim configuration to run. I figure this is why the experts get the big bucks - they have the shims (obviously), and more importantly, they know what shim stack to run for each rider.

With all that being said, what are the chances of me pulling out my base valves and sending them to a suspension shop to have them simply change my shim stacks - for a drasticly reduced price? I am capable of rebuilding my forks and removing/installing the base valves. I wonder if the suspension shops would re-shim my valves for a reasonable price? Anyone have any experience with this?

I know up here you can just order the kit and do it yourself. Its a lot cheaper. IT comes with instructions and what not. Im sure some companies might do it youd have to call. The majority of people just send out everything. I can rebuilt my bikes and my crf250 but i dont screw around with my suspension thats the only tyhing i wont touch. you will have to call and ask or get the do it yourself kit.

I doubt many companys would do that simply because there are usually several other things that I do besides just changing the base valve. I have also seen many times people not bleeding and getting the fork oil ht. correct and the same on both forks.

doc