Sign in to follow this  

Carb Help? O/T

Any tips for removing the pin that holds the float on Mikuni carbs. People bring me these left for dead bikes that had fuel sitting in them for years. I've broken the carb body post that holds the pin once or twice. Once they're that gunked, having to use any force and it cracks. Not that the bikes are worth it, just a challenge. A new test for JBweld :thumbsup:

Use lots of brake clean. Ever tried to remove one from a carb that had been full of sea water? :thumbsup: Those are fun.

Sea water? Not a motorcycle? I've soaked them in carb cleaner, trans fluid, you name it. Once the varnish reaches a certain hardness, nothing works. My reward- I get to flog them for a day or two if I can get them going. Makes the bikes feel loved again :thumbsup:

heat gun.works every time. :thumbsup:

same thing for "hopelessly" plugged jet.the stuff will burn or run out once it gets hot.

Thanks Burned! Why is it you're always the only one on the planet with the top secret trick? Can't wait to try it on some left overs I've got lying around :thumbsup:

Thanks Burned! Why is it you're always the only one on the planet with the top secret trick? Can't wait to try it on some left overs I've got lying around :thumbsup:

because one of my specialties is fixing crap no one else can or will. :devil::awww:

Good tip. Now how do you deal with the smell of dead gas. My wife is ready to throw me out if I clean another carb in the attached garage. I just did a set off a 75 CB400F. Ohh it was bad.

yah,thats a toughy.my shop isnt attached and even so i do them out side.

that is the worst smell besides a oil failed motor.