Sign in to follow this  

ooops. May have got dirt in carb, when taking air filter out?

I was taking my dirty air filter out. When I looked inside the air filter chamber to clean it, I noticed I must have dragged part of the dirty filter across the metal screen. There was a patch of crudy dirt across the screen. I sprayed some air filter cleaner on a rag to attract the dirt and I wiped it across the metal screen. It's clean now, but I wonder if may have wiped too hard and pushed some of that heavy dirt in through the metal screen to the other side meaning on its way to my carburetor.

Should I do anything? ignore it and hope things are ok. or should I remove the boot box thing on the other side and get at the other side of that metal screen to wipe up any dirt I may have pushed thru?

I would probably just vacuumm it with a shop vac before I start the motorcycle. I think it will be fine if you do that.

Take the subframe off and the air box comes off with it. Then you can get to both sides of the screen and really clean it well. Plus you can get to the boot that goes to the carb and make sure there is nothing in there.

Easy to do with the dry dusty conditions this time of year!!. best advice is to stay out front so you & your bike don't eat so much dirt!, (thats what I try to do??). If not then dispite the time & work needed tear it down and get the crud out of the intake tract!!, it'll be worth it in the long run. :thumbsup:

thanks guys. I went to wal mart and bought a handy black n decker hand vac with attachments n hose. anything for my baby :thumbsup:

I vac'd it out, will tear it down next time.