Sign in to follow this  

Starting in Gear II......Mission Accomplished!

I posted a while back to see if others had problems starting their R in gear...seems pretty common. Despite all the suggestions people had to loosen up clutch plates prior to kicking it in gear, it was still near-impossible to do as far as I was concerned.

Just finished installing my Rekluse Z-Start and doing a quick test run in the back yard (only could go as far as my porch light illuminated at 9:30pm....sorry neighbour). Anyways I am happy to report that starting in gear, (I tried both 1st and 2nd gears) is just as effortless and reliable (1st kick) as being in neutral!!! WHOO-HOO! Kick and rip...this thing will be "off the line" faster than Ben Johnson on steriods. :devil:

Hare Scrambles (dead engine) starts are going to be an absolute hoot with this thing. I cant wait for daylight so I can go try some tight gnarly trails with it. Also, try as I might, I couldn't stall the thing by braking...at least on the lawn.

I know you guys who already have the auto clutches are going....yeah yeah...we know...but this is the first time I've tried one and man...I'm "stoked" even after only 1/2 an hour on a dark lawn! :thumbsup:

Did you get the perch adjuster?

Nope...now that I see how it works I'm pretty sure I could modify the stock cable mount at the engine to put the Rekluse spring in parallel with the cable. Come to think of it, I think that the ideal set up would be for Rekluse to use a compression spring with adjustable pre-load on the back side of the clutch arm, which would allow you to retain the stock cable set up. Just an idea...

Anyhow..at this moment I don't have any plans to have a clutch lever, if anything I'd probably put the rear brake up there instead.

Nope...now that I see how it works I'm pretty sure I could modify the stock cable mount at the engine to put the Rekluse spring in parallel with the cable

No, that wouldn't work unless you had some sort of spring to keep your lever from rattling around when you stopped.

Also, I think the drag on the cable would make it hard to adjust. You would have to see the perch adjuster to understand.