Sign in to follow this  

Installed power up needle - problems

04 crf230 - stock pj, 132 mj, power up needle 4th clip, baffle out and snorkle removed. Bike seems to run okay but when its at idle in neutral crack the throttle wide open the motor dies. Is it to rich or lean or what? I haven't messed with the fuel screw yet, elevation about 2000ft.

Bike is dead lean. With the baffle out and no snorkle, it's suprising your bike even starts. Turn the fuel screw out 1.5 turns from bottom and try a #48 pilot jet for starters.

It would be normal to "blow out the candle" on a bike with out an accelerator pump(CRF230) under those conditions. If you open the throttle like you would under normal circumstances, does it accelerate fine then ??

It would be normal to "blow out the candle" on a bike with out an accelerator pump(CRF230) under those conditions. If you open the throttle like you would under normal circumstances, does it accelerate fine then ??

Yes it does work fine under normal conditions, so your saying this is normal? plug looks lean, its a light gray color when I did a open throttle check.

I feel your jetting is very close if not spot on. Like I mentioned in the last post, you can "stall" the engine out if you open the throttle fully very fast from an idle speed. I don't think you will ever ride the bike in this manner. If the engine seems to stumble off idle under normal conditions, you may find that going to a 45 pilot jet will help. Before you change the pilot jet, try turning the fuel screw out a 1/2-1 turn more. You may find that this adjustment (screw)is all you need to do !! Good luck.

scuitto, my bike does this also. It is a normal thing. On the trail/track, if you pin it it should not bog at all. If it does you need to do some tuning. Mine is purty darn snappy, not like a YZF tho :thumbsup: