Sign in to follow this  

Burning coolant!

As everyone all knows, I installed my big bore kit and after some jetting issues, got it to run pretty good. I do notice that I am burning coolant big time. After two motos today, fluids were down to the top of the radiator core. I didn't idle the bike for long on the starting gate (I never do), but the track was deep, and very loamie. Kept the bike on the pipe for most of the day. Can the combination of more power and a deep loamie track make my engine run hotter? My oils were both all clean. No noticable leaks around the cylinder gaskets. . . :thumbsup:

The CRF's tend to lose coolant under a hard wide open type rider, due to the pressure cap beng somewhat farly low rated, the fluid goes out the overflow when the cap releases. You can do the backyard method of bending the locking tabs to make it fit tighter (uhhh...) or you can install a radiator cap with a higher pressure rating. My CRF will lose coolant to the top of the fins over a few hard motos, it is normal. My head gasket does not leak. :thumbsup:

Ive never had my cylinder off,and after a day of ridding my level is always down to the core.I think this is normal good luck Mr.Furry Balls :thumbsup:

I hear change rattling around....blig blig....time for some IMS high volume rads :devil:

Look at the plug...if your "burning" the coolant it'll show on the plug...

Ride it again with one of those makeshift radiator overflow catches. I guess you can make one out of a turkey baster. At that point you'll know if its pushing past the cap or going somewhere else...its prolly going past the cap though... :thumbsup:

If the coolant level is above the cores when cold and does not go down below this level this is normal,when coolant gets hot it must expand,so if the level is above the cores cold it is completely full when hot.Many people expect to see the level all the way up to the filler neck when cold and continuely add it to this level only to find that after rideing the machine that the level is just covering the cores,and think that something is wrong,it's not, perfectly normal.cheers

I find all my bikes only like to have the coolent just abover the core or else it would expand and over flow. If I am not in tight area's it never goes down bolow the core.

Two hard days of Labor Day racing probably's doing the trick. No leaks, no sign of condensation on oil plugs, etc. I'm betting it's just running hot with the increase in bore size, jetting, wide open racing, etc. I guess it's that time. . . Fluidyne time! I heard from someone that they have a higher rated cap than stock? If it's true this should help as well. Thanks for the help guys. :thumbsup:

I use Engine Ice and a SRC radiator cap. This combo works great.

The only thing I can see working better would be Evans coolant, but I fear the viscosity of that stuff may rob horspower. I think it may be the ticket for dual sport conversions and highly modified bikes.