Sign in to follow this  

400 EXC

Anyone have the 05 400 EXC? I really don't want anything bigger than a 400. Just a few months away from purchasing a new bike. I have in down to two, the 400EXC and the WR450. On paper, these two bikes are very close to the same. I ride everywhere from the Rockies to CA. Only trails, no desire to race. I have been on a 450EXC and a 520MXC. The seat is a problem (too hard). I have a concern about the range of the bikes with the stock tanks. A 100 mile ride in a day for me normal.

What do you guys like about the KTM? Dislike? What would/have you changed? Thanks

It's about 10 pounds lighter and carries it's weight lower than the WR so those are both good things. The WR is suppose to be stable at speed but suffer when the going gets tight. You're right that you'd probably want to get a tank from IMS or Clarke for the long rides you take.

Both are very good bikes and should do the job for you.

Keep in mind that I own an 02 400 exc. Most of the comments I've read about the 04 and 05s suggest that KTM has improved the 400 over the years, with special kudos on the suspension. I have ridden various WR400s and WR450s, but not for any great length of time, so FWIW here goes.

The 400 exc is a wonderful trail machine. Very mild mannered most of the time, with plenty of bottom end (I run 13/52 gearing) for very technical or rocky stuff. But when you twist, the bike does pull hard on top too. The KTM feels pretty nimble and I have a zen like relationship with the suspension. It feels like the bike and I are one. On the WRs I've ridden, the motors were quite a bit stronger and more abrupt. Power comes on strong and requires more throttle control. The suspension was very good, but as mentioned the bike did feel more top heavy. For very long days on the trail (my kind of riding too), I'd prefer the KTM. If I had more of a taste for raw power, the WR would be very appealing. I have no idea about WR reliability. The KTM has 4,500 miles and has been flawless. My only prior experience is with XRs and the KTM requires a lot more maintenance, but compared to an XR what doesn't?

Let's not forget that KTMs are still street legal in most states. Soooo nice to be able to ride on the roads between trailheads.

I doubt the KTM SX/EXC/MXC are street legal in any state as they get delivered to the USA. You can get license plates for them fairly easily in a lot of states but they'd need a lot of stuff (horn, lights that stay on without the bike running, DOT tires, maybe turn signals, hi and low beam switch, etc) to pass most states defintion of street legal.

I'm going to make my DRZ street legal this winter (I'll keep the DRZ). Off to Moab for four days, my buddy with the 450 is going, hope to snag a ride on it for about 30-40 miles :thumbsup: