Sign in to follow this  

O/T Anyone have sciatica (disc prob in back)?

I seem to be having rotten luck this summer. Between flat tires, a cracked crankcase cover and now my back, I've lost a fair amount of riding time in our short short season.

I've got constant aching pain in my right butt cheeck, down the back of my right leg and into the side of my foot. It's a disc problem. Never had that before. Thought for awhile, I could keep riding but learned the hard way that that only made it worse. Rides are limited to short street runs now. Anyone else have sciatica? This is a real bummer. I read that Jean Sebastian Roy (the Ricky Carmichael of Canada) has back problems - certainly hasn't slowed him down.

:thumbsup::devil:

You need a back extension bench, AKA a "hyper-extension bench". This has cured 90% of all my back problems for 11 years. I have degenerative disc disease AND am getting over 7 broken bones in my back. I know a leeetle bit about back pain. It can really drive you insane; literally insane. You should see a Chiro and get some X-rays :thumbsup::devil:

Going through that now. It has been about 3 monthes now but I am starting to feel better. I find it hurts more on a soft seat so the DR is perfect. :thumbsup: Mine loosens up the more I move, I just pay when I stop. I am just getting to where I can start working out again and hopefully speed the recovery from here. I don't know how bad yours is but I am starting to see the end of the tunnel.

From what I now of my problem which I was told was sciatica is simple inflammation of the nerve where it exits the spine and passes into/under the butt. It isn't a disk problem per se. I take an anti inflamitory and tylenol. It will get better. If it's real bad try physio, avoid the quack o' practor though that's what caused mine! :devil:

Find a decent Chiropractor, and learn to stretch the muscles that run thru your hip. Warm it up and stretch before riding, drink plenty of H2O, etc...Been living with it for several years.

I would be very weary of surgery if it is recommended. I have never met anyone whose back is actually better after surgery.

Grin and bear it...and feel better... :devil:

Mike

:thumbsup:

I gave in and had the operation on my back back in 1999. They removed the bad disk bolted the L5 and S1 bones togather and it was the best thing I have ever done. Within 4 months I was better then I had been in years. Every now and then I get a little leg pain and I just take some acetaminophen and I'm fine the next day. Good Luck with it. I hope you feel better soon.

It's funny you mentioned it today!! I have the same problem for about a week now, and it is driving me nuts. It is also on my right side. For now I am doing my best to ignore it and keep moving, but as soon as I stop, it seems to get worse. I am probably going to take some Naproxin tonight, that usually helps by reducing inflamation of the nerves. I get it a few times a year. Good luck, I am keeping my fingers crossed as well.

Had sciatica. Would cause me to collapse on my way to the bathroom. :thumbsup: Didn't go away until I started stretching it and doing yoga 6 years ago. Still get some problems if I don't stretch for a while.

Stretching is the key. I also rolled around on a tennis ball to give it deep massage. That worked pretty well.

Hope you heal quickly.

I started seeing a pain clinic that does accupuncture. I decided I would give them a fair chance...1 visit.

Honestly and seriously, it helped me a great deal. The treatment was painless and I had instant relief.

Besided, it is better than taking or getting injected with a bunch of drugs.

My uncle has sciatica, I guess it's an advanced case. He's had three operations, each one leaving him in a worse condition than before. He takes MASSIVE amounts of pain killers, and his life basically really sucks because of it.

I'd say avoid an operation if at all possible (this is my philosophy for anything).

My dad just told me he has sciatica last week. He has been limping around for about 4-5 months but I just got it out of him since he is the type of guy that thinks he is being weak by talking about it. He says he has been doing physical therapy for a month or two (he may be lying) and it hasn't helped. I am very worried because he does not get any exercise and I think he would scoff at the idea of yoga.

Thanks for starting this thread since I see others who have it and are able to deal with it or even get over it. If anyone has any advice for me on how to deal with a stuborn dad I would appreciate that also.

Let's see 5 back surgeries and counting. Caught MRSA staph infection that caused my surgeon to think she is an infectious disease doctor ordering massive doses of the wrong antibiotic causing instant deafness and permanent damage to my inner ears. I also have degenerative disc disease and have a few disc being eaten as I type this. I figure they will stop when I run out of discs. prairiedawg :thumbsup:

Here's a trustworthy link for information:

ACA

Best of luck with your recovery! :thumbsup: