Sign in to follow this  

Which bike should I get?

In the past I've owned an XT600 and a BMW G/S80 Paris Dakar. The first month I got the XT600 I put 8000 miles on it. Did a 500 mile Dual Sport, then up & down along the Sierra's, Death Valley, Vegas then across the U.S. The G/S was purchased with the intention of riding to the Artic Circle from Europe. That didn't happen, but I drove it around Europe, the U.S. and finally the islands of Japan.

So, I was thinking, I perhaps want a lighter thus more off roady bike this time. Maybe a DR350S/SE or DR-Z400S. But then again, I think I'll hate life with it on the highway.

I would like to be able to do a couple of Dual Sports, run up and down the highways in the Mojave, over to the Sierras and Death Valley plus play in the desert on it. Since the highways are moving fairly fast, perhaps I should get a XR650L.

I'm a decent off road rider.

So what do you guys think? Which compromise would fit me best: DR350, DR-Z400S, XR650L or? Should I buy new or used?

Thanks very much for the advise in advance. :thumbsup:

I just found this over on the socaldualsport.com message board. Sounds like it'd be perfect for you. Half the price of new, it'll always be worth 3 grand or so. If it doesnt fit the bill, sell it and try something else.

2002 KAWASAKI KLR650, 6400 miles,Big Gun Exh,K&N Filter,carb

rejet,Progresive springs,great condition,valve adj&doohickey replaced

@5000, $3400 OBO, 714-336-1848 , 951-279-7250. Will email photos. I

have all the original parts like the exhaust,jets, filter,springs. I

also have a new rear tire for the bike that hasn't been installed.

Hate to sell it but I don't have time to ride. Price is negotiable.

I love my drz on the street ...but I also come from mostly offroad and I am basically new to the road. I can spend all day on my drz its really a great bike for an all around bike, I also think that the xr650's are awesome just alot bigger it might be just the compermize your looking for!

In the past I've owned an XT600 and a BMW G/S80 Paris Dakar. The first month I got the XT600 I put 8000 miles on it. Did a 500 mile Dual Sport, then up & down along the Sierra's, Death Valley, Vegas then across the U.S. The G/S was purchased with the intention of riding to the Artic Circle from Europe. That didn't happen, but I drove it around Europe, the U.S. and finally the islands of Japan.

So, I was thinking, I perhaps want a lighter thus more off roady bike this time. Maybe a DR350S/SE or DR-Z400S. But then again, I think I'll hate life with it on the highway.

I would like to be able to do a couple of Dual Sports, run up and down the highways in the Mojave, over to the Sierras and Death Valley plus play in the desert on it. Since the highways are moving fairly fast, perhaps I should get a XR650L.

I'm a decent off road rider.

So what do you guys think? Which compromise would fit me best: DR350, DR-Z400S, XR650L or? Should I buy new or used?

Thanks very much for the advise in advance.

Ah, trade offs. Of course, no bike can do it all equally well. But for what you describe above, I'd buy a dual sported XR600. I see them all the time on www.recycler.com or www.cycletrader.com. They are powerful, reliable, air cooled dirtbikes that should run for many years with decent upkeep. They can easily cruise at highway speed for hours and still perform reasonably well on the trail or in open desert. This is more of a pure dirtbike than a KLR, and will be less comfortable, but sounds like what you're seeking.

Here is a 1999 plated XR600 for 2,700. http://www.recycler.com/asp/AdDetails.asp?iID=12841&sBAC=661&bSQ=0&iC=90&iSC=90

You did great, and I think you will be happy with your purchase for the kind of riding you describe.

For mostly riding in wide-open areas and the highway, you can't go wrong with a Honda XR650L, that what they were designed for. Now, if we're talking the tighter stuff (woods and single track) with a moderate amount of highway, well the DR-Z would have been the way to go, at least for me (some riders a lot better than me can handle a 650 in the tight stuff). The DR-Z is tolerable on the highway up to about 75mph but gets real twitchy after that.

You made the right move going used too. Like you, I saved a bundle on an 03 DRZ with 1200mi for just $3300 on eBay. Gotta be careful and use common sense, but that said you can save a bundle used.

Best of luck to you and congrats on the new bike!