Pictures of my 01 converted to 04.

I bent my subframe, so I decided to do what someone did in the 450 forum. I converted to an 04. Parts:

subframe

airbox assembly

rear master cylinder

Tank (stock size that I dyed black)

Hurricane kit

SDG Seat

Couple homemade brackets to hold down tank.

While I was at it, I got carried away and swapped swingarm, and linkage to the 04 along with an RCS Titanium Spring. Took a while but it's done and rides great. Exactly like my 04, but with more power due to the 280 kit and cams. It's so good I'm going to get rid of the 04 for an 05 450. I can post more pictures later when the light is better.

left.jpgfront.jpg

I love the way these look with the yellow and black scheme. How did you dye your tank black? Why couldn't you do the same with your fenders, only yellow? Bike looks badass. Nice job.

I actually bought all black plastic to see how it looks with the kit. And it looks good. The dye is a last resort to the tank not being available in the stock size. I really cannot tell the difference, but I'm sure a deep scratch will show. The black plastic, I'll prbably run in the mud. Yellow shows no damage.

Do you notice any difference with the wave rotors from stock? Just curious.

No, when I bought the bike it had an oversize kit on it, they were full floating and I was never fond of the way they felt compared to my 450 or 250. So I put the setup back to stock with the exception of the wave rotor. But really I have not felt the difference.

Do you ride the track with a FMF "Q"??

Yes, the 280 kit and cams make so much more power then my stock 04, that I never see the need to switch. At places like I5mx and Clubmoto I can still accelerate up the hills with ease at low rpms if needed. I have thought about a Factory 4 though...

Answer to some questions coming my way:

I did not see an easy way to drill into the frame. The brackets were easy, just a 3 inch so strip if aluminum on each side with a nut behind it. It has two holes in it. One to bolt to the frame with a shorter bolt. And use the stock bolts at the other end with a nut behind hte strip. I filed and sanded mine so they were smooth and nice. The 01 and 03 exhaust both line up. I checked with my 04 exhaust. The exhaust in the picture is from the 01. The subframe itself required a tad of filing at the place where the top bolt goes in. I think it's around 1/4". It's obvious when you go to put it on because the 03-04 subframes are centered up there and the earlier ones are not. The airbox does not come with the rubber piece that leads the the carb. I had to go back and get that and the rubber flap above the carb, and the piece that the air filter bolts too. Not very expensive though. My understanding from someone in the 450 forum is that all those pieces can come directly from the 01 and bolt into the newer airbox. Everything lined up with the carb perfect.

Do you ride the track with a FMF "Q"??

Yes, the 280 kit and cams make so much more power then my stock 04, that I never see the need to switch. At places like I5mx and Clubmoto I can still accelerate up the hills with ease at low rpms if needed. I have thought about a Factory 4 though...

\

I ride at club moto every thursday but they said only stock exhaust or quieter but everyones running factory 4 and white brothers and they dont enforce it?