Sign in to follow this  

RMZ 300 ???

I saw the new October 04 issue of Dirt Rider. Dick Burleson raced a Thumper Racing RMZ 300 at the WISP GNCC in Maryland and placed second in the morning industry race.

He had some good comments and some not so good comments in reference to the bike.

For those of you that don't have access:

Good:

Generally liked motor with FMF Power Bomb and Q muffler (Quiet and powerful with wide power)

Between:

Didn't have enough time to sort suspension fully and was not as compliant as he would have liked.

Screwed up the start, but admitted it could have been technique with generally riding 2 stk's

Bad:

Overheating in bottlenecks (No mention of 1.6 cap, Boyesen high flow set up, or Thumper's MX overflow bottle conversion though)

Gear ratios limit woods capability with tall first and not enough top. Could not find the sweet spot with useable 1st and enough 5th.

FYI

It was a Thumper Racing Big Bore Kit. Probably stroked as well?

I think a RMX 300 would be the ultimate woods bike. :thumbsup:

Apparently it was all bore and no added stroke. 84 mm Wiseco piston with stock 53.6 stroke = 297 cc. 12:1 kitted compression ratio versus 12.9:1 stock.

I wonder if there is something in the Suzuki/Kawasaki line-up with a wide ratio tranny that will fit.