There can be only one

I live very close to the blue ridge mountains of North Carolina and have been 4wheelin'(trucks, jeeps) for years. I just bought a new Kawasaki KLR 650 to do some trail riding but some of the trails and off road access areas here are a bit extreme for this bike. So now I'm thinking of using the KLR more for "recon missions" to find and rate some of the trails and finding another ride to truck in and do the heavy work. I'd like to see opinions for the best all around, meanest mother thumper on the market for trails, logging and fire roads..etc. I know there are few bikes that can do it all, but if you could have only one, your choice would be...??

I live very close to the blue ridge mountains of North Carolina and have been 4wheelin'(trucks, jeeps) for years. I just bought a new Kawasaki KLR 650 to do some trail riding but some of the trails and off road access areas here are a bit extreme for this bike. So now I'm thinking of using the KLR more for "recon missions" to find and rate some of the trails and finding another ride to truck in and do the heavy work. I'd like to see opinions for the best all around, meanest mother thumper on the market for trails, logging and fire roads..etc. I know there are few bikes that can do it all, but if you could have only one, your choice would be...??

Either an XR650R or DRZ400E, the XR can be dropped out of an airplane without a parachute and still ride away. But if I had to pick one it would be the Suzuki, I have heard nothing but good things about them. That KLR you have is more street than dirt.

Either an XR650R or DRZ400E, the XR can be dropped out of an airplane without a parachute and still ride away. But if I had to pick one it would be the Suzuki, I have heard nothing but good things about them. That KLR you have is more street than dirt.

:devil:

Yes, I think from the factory, the klr is more street than dirt also. Dude, thats why I'm asking oppinions about the best dirt bikes. ?

I was thinking of the KTM 525 or XR650R also, but how would these bikes compare to the new 450's? The July '04 issue of Dirt Bike magazine claims that 2005 will be "the year of the 450". But also claims the KTM 300exc is the "best off road bike made". It seems to me the 300 would be a little under powered compared to the 450's, 525 and 650R ?

I was thinking of the KTM 525 or XR650R also, but how would these bikes compare to the new 450's? The July '04 issue of Dirt Bike magazine claims that 2005 will be "the year of the 450". But also claims the KTM 300exc is the "best off road bike made". It seems to me the 300 would be a little under powered compared to the 450's, 525 and 650R ?

The 300exc is a two stroke so it could be about the same as the 450's xr650, but hey it could have more power.

Don't get me wrong, a 2 stroke isn't an option at the moment, but I was curious as to how the 300 would hold up against the big guns, and someone my size. (6'2-230) Also, weight of a bike would only be a factor if it affects handeling and control. Unless I had a broke collar bone or riding a GoldWing on the trails, I think i might manage picking one up after a fall...lol. Thanks ?

?

Yes, I think from the factory, the klr is more street than dirt also. Dude, thats why I'm asking oppinions about the best dirt bikes. :devil:

What the guy tries to give you a good answer to your question and you rip on him. NOT a good way to start off in this forum MR. Newbie :awww:

?

Yes, I think from the factory, the klr is more street than dirt also. Dude, thats why I'm asking oppinions about the best dirt bikes. :D

What the guy tries to give you a good answer to your question and you rip on him. NOT a good way to start off in this forum MR. Newbie :devil:

I didn't see where I ripped on anyone Mr. "Bikeless", but if I hurt YOUR feelings please except my deepest heart felt appology. :awww: Now, the fact that my KLR was lacking in the trails was apparent, a factor in the original post, and was made by me in the question I started with. I just wanted to stay on track with the subject at hand. And as a matter of fact, he did contribute his oppinion on the bike that seems to be in the lead with his reply...the XR650R. What did YOU put forth besides a finger in my face? I don't really care whos being ripped at this point. However, I do still care about the bikes being rode. Isn't that the point here? ?

:awww:

Yes, I think from the factory, the klr is more street than dirt also. Dude, thats why I'm asking oppinions about the best dirt bikes. ?

What the guy tries to give you a good answer to your question and you rip on him. NOT a good way to start off in this forum MR. Newbie?

Correct. Calm down dude :devil:

WR450 all the way! This bike is very versatile! Desert, Mounatins, woods, rocks, roads it can do it all well! If you want to dual sport it you need to get a complete kit and get DMV inspection. For extensive road work disconnect the TPS at the carb and replace the throttle stop bolt with a YZ, get an aftermarket tall foam padded seat and a cushioned rear hub, and dual sport tires of your choice. You will be very happy when you get the bike fitted for your riding style and preferences. ?