Sign in to follow this  

R Number Plate on the X 100% success....

Excellen-t-t-t-t....!

Thanks! Any chance of just the spacer and dust cover working? If I don't need to buy the axle too -- then we can get the Trail Tech sooner! :thumbsup:

We're going to have to stick with our headlight though. We occassionally get...er...directionally challenged up in woods and it has been a bit *dark* once or twice coming back to the parking lot. :devil:

Cheers! - RB

You will have to get the axle. The shoulder on the R axle is longer than the X axle due to the size of the odometer drive. It is about 7/16ths of an inch.

The parts are cheap.

Axle - $23.90 Part# 44301-MEN-000

Spacer - $9.49 Part# 44312-MEN-000

Dust Cover - $5.52 Part# 91201-KS6-004

Total is $38.92 :thumbsup:

teamster,

I asked about this over a month ago and was told it couldn't be done. Please explain a little more in detail how you did it. Is all the electronics behind the number plate still? Did you have to fabricate anything? Did you grind off the upper clamp stock number plate ears?

Thanks!

Marshall

You'll need to grind off the tabs for the odometer and the tabs for the light on the upper clamp.

After you do that reinstall the upper clamp and lay the numberplate on so that you can mark where you'll need to drill and tap the mount for the plate. You will need to do 2 holes one on the upper and one on the lower.

It is very easy. The aluminum is very soft and drills and taps very easy. I used a 1/4-20 tap.

After I had the holes drilled and tapped I took the rubber grommets off of the odomete and put them in the tabs on the R numberplate and added a washer above and below so that the plate is rubber mounted.

I took the upper brake cable clamp and gound off the tab and drilled a whole in the numberplate and remounted the bracket.

Do yourself a favor and get all teh parts and do it this way it looks totally stock. Nothing butchered and no odometer swinging in the breeze. If you have any specific questions PM me and I will help all I can.

Thank you for the reply. I am still thinking about doing it; just wish I didn't have to grind the stock light/plates' ears off of the upper clamp. It would be great to "have my cake and eat it too". This would give me the option of running either plate.

None the less, thanks for sharing!

Marshall

I am making up "L" brackets and getting longer bolts so if I want the headlight it is only 5 minutes and 4 bolts. :thumbsup:

The only thing else is loosing the odometer but a Trail Tech Comp will fix that @ $79.99 :devil: