Sign in to follow this  

96 XR250L Burning Oil

Ok, forgive my ignorance on this one, but I wanted to post this up here and see what insight you guys could provide me. I just purchased a 96 XR250L. I've noticed now that I've been riding it for extended periods of time, that once it gets really warmed up, it burns some oil. Not excessive smoking, but definitely smoking some, and I can smell that there is some oil being burnt. Is this a simple case of needing new piston and rings, or are there other factors like valve seals or whatnot I need to consider?

The bike runs very strong, and the amount of oil burned off seems very small since it doesn't affect the oil level very much at all.

Thanks for the advice,

BT

if the motor has not been opened before it likely needs a top end rebuilt, possibly piston and or rings , valve seats recut and valve guide seals changed , this is pretty much standard maintenance for these machines.

depending on the mileage , the timing chain might be ready to change as well.

stu

The bike runs very strong, and the amount of oil burned off seems very small since it doesn't affect the oil level very much at all.

Thanks for the advice,

If the bike runs well, I would question the oil you are using. Sometimes certain oils are not as compatible with certain engines. Did you get this bike new ?? I would change to a different brand QUALITY engine oil, preferably a well known brand (I use Hondaline) and see if it stops smoking! Even if it does not, and you mentioned that the amount of oil level change is very low, oil is cheap when compared to engine work !! Are you certain it is burning oil?? Could it be that the bike is running a little "rich" on the jetting ?? Does the oil seem to get "black" very quickly ??

I didn't get the bike new, I just purchased it used about 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure what the oil in it currently is, so I will drain it and do a change. I don't think it's the jetting, if it were running ruch I would expect more of a black smoke, this is definitely more the "blue" smoke and has that definite smell of a four stroker that is burning some oil. The oil on the dipstick seems to be remaining clean, even after a long ride this last weekend of about 47 miles.

I think my plan right now is to perform an oil change, put a good grade oil in and see how the smoking is after that. If it persists, then I think a top end job will be in order.

BT

Like the guy above said, you might want to try to change oil, but since the bike is nearly 10 years old (a 96 would've come out in 95 and its almost 2005), it prolly will need a top end if not now, then soon...tell us how it turns out :thumbsup:

my 96 xr250 burned oil too alot like what yours is doing (smoking after warmed up). I did the rings and stuff like the other people said and the bike still smoked. After I did all that and saw it still smoked I started tring to figure out why it still smoked. There were no signs of oil in the combustion chamber like oil fouled plug. I looked at my service manual and found that there are O-rings under the valve guides and I didn't bother to replace those because they are tight in the head and I didn't think the oil would leak down through there. I took the head back off and replaced the o-rings under the guides and now it doesn't smoke anymore. The way I figured out that was the problem was by taking the exhaust off and looking into the head at the valves. Mine you could tell right away by looking at the difference between the carbon build up on left and right exhaust port and into the two exhaust pipes because the left one leaks alot more than the right. The oil fills up into a puddle on the left side because for it to drain down it has to fill up to get around the spark plug before it can drain back down to the crank case on the right side. If the oil burning was from the rings and piston you would have equal amounts of oil on both exhaust ports. So I guess if you do all the work make sure you change the valve guide o-rings if you find oil like I did. Just don't do what I did and break one when taking them out because the valve wont fit through the new guide without a reamer.

Excellent advice Toadster, thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind and look to see what I find.

Thanks a ton!

BT

A top end is still a lot of work and money. If the bike still has good power, like I said oil is cheap, just keep the level up. Unless it gets to the point that the plug is fouling, or the exhaust pipes/ports plugs up, I would keep riding it.