Sign in to follow this  

maintinence questions

i just got a new 04 yz250f how often should i change the oil and clean the airfilter and if i should do anything else after a ride or every couple never had a four stroke. i was told change oil every 3 rides and i usually clean the air filter every ride.

Sounds good. I also change my oil every 3 rides and airfilter everyride. Then I change oil filter every other oil change. Also make sure to check your valve clearance often.

well you cant go wrong there...But it depends on what kind of riding you do also..If you race you need to change it more often,then if you just put around in the woods..I've read that the oil in these bikes break down really fast,so the more often you change it the better for the bike..

how much are oil filters and wat do u use to clean the air filter on my old bikes i just dipped them in gas and cleaned it with that then used to pj1 air filter cleaner stuff and sprayed that i dunno if u have to do ne thing special

first put it in dgreaser and massage it through then the same in kero, wash it out in warm soapy water then rinse it in fresh water and let it dry. do not use petrol as it breaks down the glue that holds it all together.

I change my oil every 300km of bush riding or every race day. I buy it by the 5Litres for $30aus thats about $7 per change. that way i change the filter every fourth oil change because its cheaper to change the oil more often and the filter a bit less often while still offering good protection.

For air filter i just rinse in kero wring it out rinse again wring it out then dry with compressor and air dry for an hour or so. Re lube by pouring a bit of motol air filter oil on and squeezing it through with my hands then wringing excess out. If its going to be real dusty i run a an oiled filter skin which i remove mid ride and i grease the surface that seals with the air box. But generally for a race day i just clean and change it.

Im interested why old bud above uses soapy water as the kero works just fine and drys plus evaporates fine.

get a $30 hour meter and install it and keep a log book. This takes the guess work out of this question.

you use soapy water because leaving a solvent based cleaner in the filter is bad, the soapy water also makes it much cleaner, dont knock something till you have tried it.

dont knock something till you have tried it.

I thought I said i was interested. I didnt realise that was knocking you, im not in hear for confrontations or to make enemies. Im here to learn and share info. Ive personally never used soapy water and the kero doesnt seem to bother my filters, but if it works for you great stuff. c ya. :thumbsup: