Sign in to follow this  

aftermarket clutches?

What is the best aftermarket clutch for the R, or should I go with a new stock one? I would probably get the stock one but it is way more $$$ than an aftermarket one. Also after a few laps of riding I get tons of play in my clutch lever, anyone know what would cause this? also how to fix it?

I have had bad experience with aftermarket clutches. The plates always seem to pump up worse than the stock Honda ones and start slipping sooner. I know it is nice to be able to buy a complete kit for 40 bucks instead of spending $10 per plate, but...

I ride my 05 CRF-R pretty hard and have no probs with the clutch getting excessive play. I think the only thing they changed for 05 was slightly stiffer springs. Maybe you could try the 05 springs and see what that does for you.

would worn out springs cause excessive clutch play? I asked my local dealer that and they said it would not.

would worn out springs cause excessive clutch play? I asked my local dealer that and they said it would not.

In a roundabout way it could. If the springs are worn or insufficient tension the clutch could slip, however slightly. When the clutch slips it produces more heat and the plates expand. When the plates expand you get more play.

You need to check everything. Check to make sure all the plates are within tolerance and not grooved or warped. Check the inner and outer baskets to make sure the fingers are not notched. Check the pressure plate to make sure it is not warped or grooved. If all of that is good, then throw a new cable on and some 05 springs (assuming they are compatible) and take it from there.

The baskets are not notched. How do I tell if the plates are warped(I heard they change colors or something)?

Sometimes they will turn blue if they have been overheated. The best way to check for warpage is to lay them on a flat surface and try to get a feeler guage under them. The easiest way to get a flat surface is to use a heavy piece of plate glass.

Sometimes they will turn blue if they have been overheated.

Do the frictions or steels change colors? or both?