Sign in to follow this  

Picked up a 03 wr250f - sitting since May...

Rode it before I bought it up and down the street. First, didn't let it warm up properly, second, was VERY low on gas (already on reserve...) and THIRD, said gas had been sitting for about 4 months...

Ok, so it ran ok, but accelerating it would stutter and miss.

I'm going to drain the carb and the gas, but is there anything else I should do? Is it possible the gas turned to varnish in 4 months?

Maybe I'm overthinking it, especially since I haven't even started to work on it! :thumbsup:

I have had gas over a year old that still worked great. But I did buy a ttr125 that I could not keep running. turned out there was less than a drop of water in the bottom of the carb bowl. It ran but like crap. When I cleaned out the bowl I have not had a problem in over a year and I ride it with my 2 year old son everyday.

Rode it a bit today after draining the rest of the fuel. Seemed ok, but sure will take some getting used to a lower powered bike!!! :thumbsup:

Having a hard time wheeling now, keeps breaking loose the rear wheel.

Something else I noticed was the left fork is leaking a little. Didn't seem to be leaking last night though.

Todays pump gas thats full of EPA additives starts breaking down in as little as 2 weeks... so 4 month old gas is deffinatly not in real good shape.

I'd say run a tank full of good fresh gas through it before you go hunting for more serious problems... chances are after a tank of good gas it'll run fine.

pkley, your leaky fork is probably due to some dirt getting trapped. This has happen a few times to my husband's WR. You just need something stiff and plyable (film, buisness card, thin feeler gauge ect.)and just pull off the dust seal (flathead screw driver) and put the piece inside the fork and slide it around until the dirt comes out. After that we spray a little contact cleaner wipe it down. Slide the dust seal back into place and try it out.

Thanks for the tip, I'm pretty sure it's just dust/gunk.

I'm not sure what mod's to do to it since it's Canadian... Guess I'll have to look into all of them and see what's necessary. I'm just not super knowledgeable about bikes.