Sign in to follow this  

DOT Tires

Anyone ran a set of the michelin bajas? I have heard that they are one of the most aggressive street tires out there, but any other options????

There are a lot of tire opinions. Search with your subj & you will find a ton.

Ive had good results with the rear metzeler karoo. Its a steel belted 140/80/18, very stiff,

leans over great on the street and has a similar design to the baja. The front karoo isnt that

agressive on the dirt so I found the Bridgestone E661 in 90/90/21, deep well spaced knobs

but good street manners. A bit more center contact patch then most other agressive DOT fronts.

The rear karoo is a good deal @ www.ronayers.com for $55 and the front E661 is around

$55 @ a few online shops.

You also have the:

Pirelli MT21, 18 front is more agressive choice.

Dunlop D606

Terra Flex rear 140/80/18

Mich Baja like you mentioned.

Kenda Trackmaster 760 rear, heard the front isnt that great from some users.

Thank you for the info. I do 90% dirt 10% street so I'll do some homework.

Thats a small percentage of street, you have a much better selection in the non - DOT market.

If your not riding much street I wouldnt worry about DOT too much, Im sure others will

have some good advice on a more dirt oriented selection. There is a thread in the gen.

forum now on peoples favorite tire selection, its sticky near the top of the page.

The Kenda 760 rear seems to be the popular choice of those riding more dirt then street,

its the cheapest of the DOT bunch also.

For 90/10 I'd seriously consider saying screw dot. :thumbsup: I ride about 70/30 and ditched dot tires 7K miles ago. No real adverse street handling issues even with the meanest looking dirt tire I could find. So long as your local police force isn't wise to check for non dot tires.

Well as of now Im riding michelin MS12 front and rear and they work perfect, but CHP dosent think the same....

Well as of now Im riding michelin MS12 front and rear and they work perfect, but CHP dosent think the same....

Wow thats sucks, first time Ive heard of the CHP hassling anyone about tires.

Did they give you a fix-it ticket...? Hence your search, I guess you have to show

proof you changed them to avoid a fine... Bummer...

Just spend some money to have a metal stamp/brand made up that has a dot number on it...heat up the metal and voila, dot tire.

The CHP officer that nailed me only gave me a warning because he also has a DRZ so I dont know how well the DOT attempt would fly...But I will let everyone know if it dosent

I've got Dunlop D606s. They seem to wear OK on the street but are way more slipery than the stock tires, no more stoppies the front wheel just slides. On the dirt they work great, way better than the stock tires. I can take hills and mud that I couldn't even think about with the stock tires.

I ran the 606's for 2 years and never again.Put on a set of Maxxis IT and never look back. :thumbsup:They are not dot aproved but for 10% who cares.Also if you do not have rim locks get them to.Belive me I learned from bad experiance. :thumbsup:

Been happy with the D606 so far. I ran Kendas for awhile, but they

just wear too darned quick.