Sign in to follow this  

buying a 2002 CRF450

getting a 2002 CRF450 next week, it is my first 4 stroke dirt bike. Anything I should do or look for, other than general maintanance items, before first ride, thanks much!

I have a CRf 450 02,get one of the airbox seal kits mine was PC brand keep a close eye on the spoke tightness,make sure your suspension is greased and your steering head bearings are greased,the chain sliders had short life span on the swinging arm,I went to a TM designs slider they are gaurenteed for a year mines two years old and going strong,If you want it to turn you'll need 20 mm ofset triple clamps and or storm link with both it will really rail a turn,antiseize your chain adjustment bolts I would also antiseize any fastner going into aluminum the car wash is murder on unprotected fastners, there were some issues with the rear mastercylinder kit going bad new kit is a 35 buck fix if your rear brake goes away.I really can't think of any other issues other than keep your rear sprocket bolts tight.ride and have fun mine has been bullet proff so far and no valve issues either.

I really can't think of any other issues

:thumbsup: THE VALVES :devil:

1st thing that would get me curious is to check the valves and know where you are at with the gap on them.

Better yet, ask the owner if he knows or when they were last checked since it would blow to buy the thing and find out the intakes are on their way out.

It could very well be on the stock ones (intakes) yet or have had new stock or after market ones and springs installed.

Check ANY 2002-2004 used CRF450 for tranny oil bolt problems. A few people have either stripped their tranny bolts threads (in the case), or cracked the cases around the tranny oil bolts.

Do a search, so you know what to look for. I have had no problems with my 2002 :thumbsup:, but I torque mine by hand, not by an out of spec torque wrench. :devil:

Myself like throtle jocky never had any valve issues some have but there has been many who haven't had valve problems,I change the oil often have 3 air filters and change the filter after every ride change the oil every 3 rides or about every 5 to 6 hours,

Myself like throtle jocky never had any valve issues some have but there has been many who haven't had valve problems,I change the oil often have 3 air filters and change the filter after every ride change the oil every 3 rides or about every 5 to 6 hours,

same here no valve problems

i have a 02 crf 450 and its been thru everything, strong bike. Ive had to shim the valves once but they were not bad. i change the oil every 2 rides and keep the airfilter clean. Ive also replaced the piston with a wiseco. :thumbsup: