Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Messed Up??

When I click my bike into gear, it lurches forward. The clutch is adjusted right, with the right amount of freeplay. So I put it up on the stand and clicked it into gear, and the tire started spinning for a second or two but then it stopped. If I rev it up real hard, it will start to spin again, but if it just idles it will spin for a second or two then stop. Also, if you pull the clutch in and try to spin the tire it wont move at all, and if you try to push the bike it will just skid as if you didnt have the clutch in at all. There must be something wrong with my clutch, but I dont know what. It feels like it disengages when you pull it in, and it feels normal, but it wont work right. Any ideas? :thumbsup:

my bike jumps forward and stalls when it is cold, and my play is adjusted right too. if the bike is on the stand, it is normal for the wheel to spin when you put it into gear, all bikes do that. when you talk about pushing it and the bike skids, is the bike running or off? I am having clutch problems too and I change my oil every ride.

It spins with the clutch pulled in?? And the bike is off when i try to push it, and it is like the clutch is out. It seems to get a little better when the bike is warmed up, but when its cold theres a loud clunk and it really lurches.

my bike jumps forward and stalls when it is cold, and my play is adjusted right too. if the bike is on the stand, it is normal for the wheel to spin when you put it into gear, all bikes do that. when you talk about pushing it and the bike skids, is the bike running or off? I am having clutch problems too and I change my oil every ride.

EVERY RIDE!!!! :thumbsup:

If its adjusted correctly then it's most likely your clutch basket has groves worn in it. Either replace the basket or save a few bucks and file the groves down.

yea my bike does that when its cold i dont think its the clutch though casue it did it when i just got the bike..It only happens if i start it immedeatly and try to kick it in gear. If i let it warm up a little bit theres no problem.

Try to let the bike warm up a little bit and if your still having problems then bring it to your local shop to check it out

Ok, it mostly goes away when it is warmed up, but the other day i dumped it and when i picked it up and tried to roll it forward with the clutch in the tire just skidded, and I had been riding for a few hours. Right now I dont have any cash to do anything about it, so I guess i'm just SOL. :thumbsup:

Hmm. I use HP4 ..its more expensive but ive used it in both my old 230 and now my 250 and never had a problem..oh yeah and try sticking with 10w40 its the best all around oil tempature wise

Hmm.I use Bel Ray gear saver 80w and have never had a problem yet..

Try using gear saver and if not use 10w40 of whatever you prefer.

Honda GN4, usually 10W40, but I just put in some 20W50. Actually come to think of it, the problem didnt start until I used 20W50... hmmm :thumbsup:

That oil is too thick for the clutch. Get some Honda HP 80/85 gear oil in the red bottle or at least switch back to 10/40. the Honda HP 80/85 works great.

If I'm not mistaken, the manual says NOT to use anything but 10W40. I know that when the bike is cold the clutch plates will stick until the oil gets warm. I usually just give it a little gas the first time I pop it in gear so it won't stall and it's fine after that.

The problem with it still sticking after it's warm seems to be a problem inherent to all CRF's. I've seen a lot of posts that all say the same thing.