Sign in to follow this  

mates yzf250 '01 absalute [@#$%&*!] to start

he bought this yzf250 '01 second hand from and x racer and this bike just has incredible compression and you cannot continuously kick the kickstarter. its just 1 kick then u have to jump on it hard again. the decompresser just makes it so theres no compression at all and its not very helpful. is there a starting technique or is does this bike have something wrong with it

hahahahahahahahaha

sorry wait

bwaaahahahahahahahahaha

:thumbsup:

You know it's really been a long time since I have read someone actually having a non 03 exhaust cam bike that didnt know how to start it. Not that it's any easier knowing, it's just been a long time is all. We have all asked the same questions you did.

First of all dont just jump on it hard when it gets the real high compression feeling. You just might break the kickstarter gear inside. And thats an ugly thing to happen.

So here's how you kick it old cam style.

Slowly kick it over until you hit that high compression feeling. Squeeze the decompression lever and continue kicking it about another inch in foot travel.

release the decompression lever and ratchet the kickstarter up to the beginning of it's travel.

Kick it as hard and as fast as you can. It's the speed of the kick that you're after not the power. The speed spins the rotor faster and makes more electricty which translates to a hotter spark for starting.

So here's how you kick it with the exhaust cam swapped out for a 03 cam.

ummm, kick it. thats right just kick it.

Thats the kicking part. It's the same cold or hot.

If it's cold and hasnt been started yet, pull the black knob on the carb (the choke) get the kick starter ready to go by following the earlier procedure, then blip the throttle 2 or 3 quick twists to prime the bike and kick it immediately. It should fire right up. As soon as the idle starts to sputter push the black knob in and let the bike warm up for a second before riding.

If it's hot or flooded you may need to pull the red knob on the carb (idle lean) and do the same as before (if you have dropped it and flooded it, just let it sit for a week then start it :devil: ) Then as soon as it fires push the knob back in.

In all cases do not blip the throttle while kicking it like you would a 2 smoke. It will flood the bike and instantly become a true pain in the butt to start.

Your best bet is to swap the exhaust cam out for an 03 exhaust cam. It makes the bike a blast to ride, not a pain to start.

hold the decomp. lever down kick it over like 15-20 times and it should fire right up... i dont have any problems getting my pig started.... i just kick it over like i said and then it starts up with ease... :devil::thumbsup::awww:

You might want to check your valves. You may need to re-shim it. My 02 250f was getting harder and harder to start and sure enough my intake valve clearances were out of spec. I have no idea whether this is the problem, but check, just in case.

I had the same problem.Once i installed the 03 exhaust cam i never had another problem with my 01 250f.I remember talking to a guy from machine racing in TORONTO and he said if your in a race and you stall or fall you might as well leave it there for a while because she aint going to fire.He was right because i stalled it in a race and i was finished,i sat there for at least 20 minutes.I think with the 03 cam installed the bike just turns over faster and it fires right up.I would not even consider getting an 01 or 02 unless it had an 03 cam in it.