Sign in to follow this  

Georgetown 9/5 Ride report - Grumpy Old man & the Dark Side

Had a tough ride today at GT. Buick led the way for crashlanding and I. this was crash's first trip to GT. We staged at Mace mills. First we headed over to darling ridge and then down to the deep water crossing. We then crossed over to the Dark side. From the water crossing we rode up a wild full throttle, 3rd gear, climb up out of the canyon. Then we found our way to a black diamond trail 1-4. True to the other black diamond at GT, most of the trail was challenging blue but there was one or two spots that presented an obstacle in our way. This trail was evil looking in a way, narrow and rocky not unlike parts of loop 6 at FH. The whole thing winds along a granite cliff wooded with trees and scatterd with bones from dead riders who failed in the past. We motored on and on in this very NON georgetown looking landscape till we came to two living room furniture size chunks of rock like fallen stumps over the trail. When I got there crash was struggling abreast the big rock. Buick and him advised me how to attack the beast.

I quickly bounded my DRZ tractor right up and over the blocked passage way. No problem. :lol:

That however was the beginning of the end of my day. We crossed over to loop 5 and the lower ballarat loops part of Bald mountain. We did 5-2 to 1/5/6 and from 5 corners went up loop 1 which I dont like as it is nothing more then a shelf trail with lots of dips. Buick then took us to that silty messy climb, which I had had enough of two weeks ago. I went up the mess and attempted to exit stage right on the bail out trail. I went into the trail cut to close to the edge. The trail side gave way. My DRZ and me and half the sloppy wooded hillside went for a face plant down the hill. I found my self face down sliding down on wooded branches and leaves with my bike still running and falling over on to my legs. I was trapped under my running bike on a bed of branches. Buick was up top and could not see me. Crashlanding was below not yet near me. I had to struggle out. My right leg was trapped under the bike and the damn bike was still in gear and running. The rear tire started making meatballs of my leg. Each time I pulled to release my leg I slid down the hill more and the bike came after me. I was PISSED!!!!!! I didn't want to come up that damn dirty stinky hill in the first place.

I was NOT Happy. I managed to finally pull my leg out, turn around, climb up and shut off my bike just as Crashlanding appeared. He helped me and the bike up. even though I fell right side, luckily no damage to my new pipe but there was a thumbnail size tear on my beloved moose seat. Probably caused by my boot steel toe as I tumbled over. I love that seat. $95 :D:devil:

I love that seat and now it's spoiled.....My mood went from frustrated dirt biker to sore OLD grumpy dude instantly. :awww:

I announced my dissatisfaction with our trail boss at the next interection. I must have sounded like a whining texas crybaby. Sorry about that Buick. He said no problem and we headed up the right side trail 1 hill climb which I do love and it made me smile for a moment, but I was toast and I advised my ride team I wanted to go home.... it was only 1:00 pm but I was shot - TOO MUCH TRAIL riding. We worked our way acroos the underside of bald mountain on trail 1-3 and another goat trail AGAIN :lol: trail 9-6. Finally after that long trail 4 I quit and told the guys to do trail 8 while I waited at the road.

finally heading back I didnt wait to let Buick lead and I blasted up trail 3-1 to mace mills that was fun but just before the stage area with all those little trail splits I ended up waiting in the sun at a trail split for my riders who never came..... :D :D they elected to go another way and then crashlanding elected to go his own way and got lost.

My day ended badly. No hard feelings guys. I hope you two had fun

Thanks Buick and Crashlanding for a unique and different Georgetown day. This grumpy old man is gonna take two weeks off from riding. I need it. :thumbsup:

Damn Bob,

Sounds like you had one "real" bad day...That sucks.. :

Hope you and the bike are OK..

Been dualsporting ( solo - yup, just me ) up in the Stanuslaus all week & plan on going again next weekend. If your interested in some looong distance, plenty of pic op's no extreme trail ride, gimme a holler..After a nasty ride like you had, sometimes it's good to just cruze and smell the trees...

Dan

Thanks man.... actually I'm headed down to shaver lake next weekend with some San diego buddys who do this cabin trip each year. It's a boys weekend with LOTS of BEER and steaks. I was gonna bring my bike as there are trails in that area, but I'm leaving the DRZ home. Me and Boomer are gonna go swimming and I'm gonna get drunk with my buds.

look me up in late septmeber. I bought my dirt bike a year ago this month. After riding 50 of the last 52 weekends, I think I need to let it go for awhile

It was nice to meet buick, thanks for being the tour guide :D:lol:, except when I shoulda zigged instead of zagged, got lost 50 yards from the trucks :thumbsup:, oh well, I blame the heat and fatigue on that one.

It was my first experience with Georgetown, I liked it :D Today's riding was more non-stop than what I am used to, am real tired now :awww: and the heat was pretty good in some spots.

Bob, glad your leg and bike are good, falls like that can turn bad real quick. As always it was a pleasure riding with you and until next time :devil::lol:

And here is a pic of the new addition to the family I was telling you about.

MVC-354F.JPG

and here he is after the kids have played him out

MVC-353F.JPG

Rusty is a fuzzy butter ball puppy dog!!! What a joy he will bring to your family. I remember boomer like that 11 year ago. He was about 6 months actually when the feb 1994 northridge earthquake it. He was so funny The damn dog was Scared out of his wits...... hahaha :thumbsup::awww:

we'll have to get old man boomer and your dog together in about 8-12 months. watch your young pup bounce around and wear the old boomer out. boomer he's here he's just an old rug dog now :devil:

oh yeah get that book "the art of raising a puppy"

get him some chew hooves and other TOYS when he starts to chew the wrong things, replace it with a toy or chew hoove.

Bob,

Have a great time & slug one down for me, eh? :thumbsup:

I'll keep in touch, pray for some rain!!

Hope to see you soon, Dan

Hey BigBob, glad to hear you survived what sounds like a nasty fall. Damn black diamonds tend to have that little section that can ruin your day, which is why I avoid them when possible.

Enjoy your trip to the lake, and maybe we can do a ride in a couple of weeks. :thumbsup: