Sign in to follow this  

TTR125L wont idle

My TTR125 wont idle, my dad says just crank up the idle but that doesnt seem like the right thing to do. The bike set for 8 months, so I'm guessing I need to drain the gas tank and the float bowl like my Haynes manual says. Can someone show me some photos or snap some of what I need to do? Other than that the bike seems to run fine with the same amount of power(I only rode it a month before it set up for 8 however so I cant really tell, its like a dragster compared to the xr70 I used to ride anyways). Also, the manual says use 87 octane, does using 83 pose some great danger to the welfare of my bike?

It's just that the slow jet has such tiny holes, it only takes a month of inactivity to clog them with fuel varnish. Just remove the two jets (18 & 16) as well as the idle fuel screw (12) and soak them for a while in carb cleaner and then reassemble. Tuen the idle fuel screw in completely and then out 2 1/2 turns and that's a good starting point. You can do all this while the carb is on the bike. Just remove the four screws (30) that hold the carb bowl in place. Patience is a virtue as these are not easy screws to reach. Next time drain the bowl every time you start the bike that's been sitting for more than a few days and use fuel stabiliser religiously.

ttr125carb.gif

I drained the tank and put in 93 octane which seemed to help. It still doesnt idle very well. Am I correct that to adjust the idle I need to mess with the pilot screw. Also, is it that big of deal to unmount the carb I'd feel more comfortable with it on a table. Or is it easier to remove what you explained while still on the bike than I am thinking? Also, if I plan on the bike sitting up for a long time will turning the fuel selector to "off" and running it out help to prevent this problem?

That carb needs a thorough cleaning out. Take the carb off and take all of the jets out of it and spray some carb cleaner in the jets and all of the passages in the carb. Then blow them out with air. Be carefull of the floats to be sure you don't bend them at all.

You can see exactly how to take the carb off in my jetting and airbox visual guide thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1273620/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

After riding, drain the carb bowl by turn the fuel petcock off, turn #9 fuel bowl drain screw and let the fuel out of the bowl. When you are ready to ride again, turn the screw out to drain the little fuel that's in the tubing that may have gone bad with the petcock on for few seconds. Let the fuel bowl fill up before starting.

You still need to clean the jets out or will never idle right and leaving the choke on to make idle will make a bigger mess. Taking the carb off the bike is always the best way but it takes a lot more time and you can really do it on the bike by removing the fuel bowl. Tilt the carb so you can get at the screws. Once the bowl is off you have free and clear access to the 2 jets and the idle fuel adjust screw. Also consider changing to a slighly larger slow jet, I use a #17 and the bike runs smoother, starts quicker, idles nice, no popping. A small investment at about $2.50 from the white bros. catalog.