Sign in to follow this  

XR200 timing chain install help

I am trying to get the timing chain over the sprocket for the camshaft. It seems to be 5 links too short but it is the same size as the old one. At this point it seemes literally impossible it will give 1/2" to wrap around the cam sprocket. Is there a way to get it around the cam chain without buying another motorcycle?

I have the sprocket off of the cam. It needs to go 1/2" more to connect to the cam. The tensioner, when fully retracted, allows for less than 1/16" more movement upward, a far cry from the 1/2" needed. I forgot how impossible timing chains were on 4 strokes.

Special thanks to dirtbiker 1988. It turned out the chain was behind the little separator that is supposed to go in between the chain. The chain rolled fine, but I took a light and looked down there, and sure enough. After I took the flywheel off and straightened it out, it went around the gear no problems. On another note, I did of course drop the chain down inside the engine. I used my Craftsman telescoping magnet, even with the valvecover on, and retrieved the chain with little effort. Just a side note for anyone who may get involve din a similar situation.

Thanks!