Sign in to follow this  

2001 WR250F: 03 Cam ride report

* 2001 WR250F (bought in 02)

* East coast woods riding, occasional hare scramble

* Various 'free' mods, revalved forks (drew smith), michelin tires, larger clark tank, higher rental bars, CRD quiet pipe

The bike has been great. The 01 cam, stock gearing and CRD pipe give the bike a great midrange punch but it has always lacked top end. I think the pipe has a lot to do with that but don't have any legal riding areas so it has to be quiet. My only complaint was the starting procedure. Anyone who has stalled their 01-02 on a steep hill on a hot day knows what I'm talking about.

I finally got around to installing the 03 YZ cam that I received last year. The thumpertalk FAQ instructions were perfect and there were no surprises.

After heat cycling the bike three times I went for a nice easy ride this morning. The bike fired up with one kick every time (still puts a smile on my face). After an hour or so I started to ride a little harder and the added punch of the YZ cam was noticable. I did not notice any loss of midrange. In fact it seemed to pull a little harder everywhere and I feel like I can let it 'run out' in gear a little longer (less shifting). I'm going to try shortening the gearing (it's currently stock) and see how that works. It still feels like it's being 'choked off' by the pipe but I'm so rarely WFO in the woods that it doesn't bother me.

Thanks to everyone for all of the help. Thumpertalk is a great resource.

Jim

It makes a huge difference in the bike doesnt it.

:thumbsup:

you will also find that it bump starts going into corners very easily. So if it stlls from rear wheel lock up, just kick it down a gear while you are still rolling. It will fire right back up for you.