Sign in to follow this  

Which quad???

Ok, I know I'm gonna get a bunch of [@#$%&*!] about getting a quad, but me and my family are seriously considering buying them for sand toys. My budget is about $3500 to $4000, and I'm wodering what everybody reccomends in the way of used quads for that price.

Thanks for the help,

Kevin

I was drooling over the Yamaha YFZ450 at the dealer the other day. If I had the cash to get 2 new toys I'd buy one of them to match my new bike. The new Kawasaki Vtwin 700 is damn nice too except its got a damn auto tranny.

I dunno if you can get a used one that cheap though, both of them are 7 grand new.

$3500...Sand Toy..Hmmmm :devil::thumbsup:..I know its a family "toy"....You could get a serious Honda ATC-250R that would eat most qauds.... :awww::lol::D

In the sand horsepower is king- 60+ is not unreasonable. If your planning on just doing sand drags, look into a Banshee and call it good. For all around fun there are other choices, even in the 3500-4K range.

The new 450 Yamaha and Hondas are simply stellar machines, but you won't likely find one for less than 5K, usually closer to 6K.

If you're OK with 2 strokes, there are some deals to be made on the 86-89 Honda TRX250R, along with the Suzuki Quadracer 250's. Their Quadzilla 500 had too many issues, Imo. Yamaha's 350 twin cylinder Banshee is a sand legend, with massive power available with unlimited aftermarket parts (125+ hp available), but the chassis is certainly sub-par with poor suspension and geometry.

4-strokes.

It's a gamble, but killer deals can be had on Cannondales. If all the updates have been done to them they're generally reliable. Fuel injected, 440cc, aluminum frame, good fun race/performance quad. C-dale went Bankrupt- so parts can be an issue.

The Suzuki/Kawasaki/Artic Cat 400 is a super all-around quad. Reverse, e-start, decent suspension, good performance potential from the motor (it's based on the DRZ400 dirtbike). If you ride hard and jump far plan on gusseting the frame.

Yamaha's Raptor. Big power potential from it's 660cc reverse equipped motor. Does not handle as well as the Suzuki or Honda 400's- it's a bit top-heavy. Slap on a wider axle, a pipe, jet it and it's a good machine (the Banshee, Raptor, and Warrior have hideous air cleaner setups- go aftermarket). Some 2001 Raptors had tranny issues, and the 02+ machines had slightly better ratios.

Honda 400EX. No reverse, motor based on the XR400. I have too much $ wrapped up in mine. :thumbsup: Good handling, lower in power when stock, but easy to upgrade. Can often be had for rather low prices. Typical Honda reliability.

Good luck finding an ATV site that even remotely compares to TTalk. Most are grossly overpopulated by young teenagers acting their age. You'll slog through 20 retarded posts to find 1 with decent tech info. Here are some anyway.

General- www.atvconnection.com www.atvscene.com www.atvsource.com

Yamaha- www.bluetraxx.com www.bansheehq.com

Honda- www.exriders.com (big site).

Suzuki/Kawi- www.z400central.com

Cannondale- www.cannondaleriders.com www.cannondaler.com

If you have any questions just shoot- I'm hoping that as a TT member you'll bring more responsible, properly dressed people to the ATV sport, Lord knows we need them.

PS- if you want to catch really big air in the sand, throw a paddle tire on a dirt bike- quads weigh too much for BIG air.

go to the grocery store and buy a case of beer. put it on ice and drink one every 15 minutes till you can't remember why you started drinking.

repeat every time you feel the urge to buy a quad.

FWIW, nothing beats a CR/KX 500 in the sand.

jeremiah

pick up a raptor. Threres so many of them u can pick up a used one for pretty cheap and theres many aftermarket options for them too. 727 kits are crazy. I had an 03 and it was pretty reliable but if u want a bulletproof quad, get a 400ex.

you guys are too stereotypical to people on quads. yes, maybe some quad riders drink beer and whatever, but i bet you that some dirt bike riders drink beer, too. im not too familiar with quads and ive only ridden a blaster and i wouldnt reccomend it. it has a terrible 1st gear and is slow until about 4th gear. but guys, loosen up on the quad prejudice. it says thumpertalk on the top of the page, not dirt bikes are superior and quads suck. i dont like quads myself but i dont go around saying "hey theres a guy on a quad. boy would i love to know how many beers he had"

get a banshee ! they are awesome in sand and they are very fast! 350 twin ! if your gonna be draggin it then itd be even better.

Buddy of mine is a Yamaha dealer and he says Raptors are good if they have been maintained. He has seen many that haven't been and totally self destructed. The YZ450 quad is awesome.

well you said family quad so what are you going to use this for just out in the sand or is there going to be some trail riding. if its just out in the sand then the convience of a reverse gear isnt needed but if its some trails then look for one with reverse its pretty handy, the ex line of hondas are good im not sure if the 300 and the 400 have reverse, but i know the 250x the first in this line does, also the old suzuki 230 quadsport (i had one damn reliable) does. the banshee is a hole differnt animal, if its still stock than most of your family can ride it, if you have younger ones that arnt used to alot of instant wheel spining power than i wouldnt get it, if they are more exspeienced than it will work there is no reverse however. in stock form the banshee is quiet and realy reliable, with mild mods it still retains that same reilability, i had play porting pipes twin air air filter, and a swiss chees airbox lid it made nice power, and it never broke, i then went off the deep end and started the serious mods, it then became i ticking time bomb, yea you can get some rediculas hp out of the engin but it comes at a high cost. the raptor i heard good things about just see how well it was maintained. the old 2 smokes 250s are good just find one close to stock, the quadzilla i liked it was a realy grunty motor it worked best if you just short shifted it, instead of revving it. :thumbsup:

Ok, thanks for the help everyone. I guess I wasn't too clear in my original post, when I send my family was thinking about quads, that means me and my brother each get one and my dad gets one, not something we're going to share. I've had two yamaha blasters, and they were okay for a little kid, but i've definitely outgrown them (although I still have one that I need to sell). I will mostly be doing sand riding (I think), and reverse is no big deal. I've put a paddle on my bike and tried it in the sand, and it's just too shakey to have much fun on, plus you have to maintain quite a bit of speed to have control, and then I usually end up ditching everyone. I am seriously considering a used banshee that has already been tricked out. One of the biggest reasons for this is that they are reliable, and the parts are everywhere. I don't think a raptor is in the list of options (i've heard lots of problems with them until '02, and then they'll be too expensive). How do 400exs and other 400s compare to a banshee?

Thanks for the help

Kevin

you guys are too stereotypical to people on quads. yes, maybe some quad riders drink beer and whatever, but i bet you that some dirt bike riders drink beer, too. im not too familiar with quads and ive only ridden a blaster and i wouldnt reccomend it. it has a terrible 1st gear and is slow until about 4th gear. but guys, loosen up on the quad prejudice. it says thumpertalk on the top of the page, not dirt bikes are superior and quads suck. i dont like quads myself but i dont go around saying "hey theres a guy on a quad. boy would i love to know how many beers he had"

it ain't about guys drinking beer, smarty (i don't call myself "beer_studd_76" for nothing). it's about spinning donuts in the staging areas, making single track into double track, pit and camp site racing, and a general disregard for everyone and everything.

JMHO

jeremiah

I have quads also and like to ride them in the sand , I think that the Honda 400 ex is a hard to beat all around bike that does great. The other 400`s like suzuki,artic cat and kawasaki are all based off the suzuki platform and are good bikes also , with a bonus of reverse , but seldom can be used in the sand . look for a good used one and make sure things are good.

Good luck

My vote is for a Suzuki LT250R or LT500 for the late 80's or early 90's. Infact I'm looking for one myself. I also reccomend the LT230 as they are dead reliable but they arnt the fastest thing out there. I just rode my friends LT230 yesterday infact. I can stand on the grab bars and ride wheelies all day and its fun to ride. I actually hit a well yesterday on it and put a dent in the A-Arm. But it has dents from them all over the rest of it. Its an 87 and all orignal no major problems. The two things he has changed are the swingarm and handle bars. Swingarm because he hit a fence doing a wheelie and somehow broke the swing arm and the handlebars because he flipped it and bent them then they broke later at the bend. No other problems with it. Original top end and stuff very reliable and still runs great.

the other 400's in that price rang wont even keep in the dust of a good banshee. now if your talking about the new yzf450, and the crf 450 version quads which are out of that price rang then its alittle differnt, but for the cash your talking about the banshee is better. one thing to remember in the mods once it starts getting some good mods on it pull the crank send it out and have it welded(banshee has a 2 piece crank that under realy realy high revs will separate, due to the banshee can rev till it exsplodes) and lightend and never over rev it because there seems to be no limit to how high it can rev hehe. i wouldnt go past play port and polish, differnt reed cages, a differnt head such as the cool head for more cooling, a differnt filter and pipes. first thing i would do is get pipes for it if you find one stock which is what i would look for then it is less likely to be abused. have fun :thumbsup:

Just my 2 cents worth here...Although I ride two wheels, all the guys I ride with are on Quads. The 400EX is a nice, reliable ride, but the one that stands out is the Polaris Predator. A buddy of mine has an 04 and an 03 that have been stellar since new. No mechanical problems except bent steering stems from inverted landings. Add a Big Gun exhaust and jet kit and the thing really screams. Something to keep in mind... The 04 is shorter that the 03, and handles differently.

I ride a Honda 450R quad and really like it. For your price range, I would also look at the 400ex. I have always liked Honda's reliability and large amounts of aftermarket parts.

Honda may not be the fastest, but its always faster than a broken quad.