Sign in to follow this  

Installing new clutch

I already got the clutch plates soaking in oil over night. Now what are some tips you guys use in putting in a new clutch? Ive put clutches in before but I always like hearing new ideas. Where should I set the adjustment before I shift into gear for the first time so that I dont grind the gears? Thanks.

good deal on soaking the plates :thumbsup:

as for freeplay, seems to be explained more complicated than it is , 1/8~3/32" is plenty , weather you give it slack at the lever on bars or at the other end it makes no diference. What i like to do is adjust the end near the motor and keep the adjsustment on the bars close to halfway , as the clutch wears you can adjust it on the fly .

dont forget to change the oil after the fisrt ride or two , theres lots of debris generated with clutches.

check the basket as well, sand lightly with 400 grit if there are marks on the basket, these marks add to the chatter of the clutch as it gets on in age.

More prominent in mx bikes but worth looking at , since your there .

stu

Alright thanks. :thumbsup: One last thing, when I remove the clutch cover will oil leak out? Or do I need to go ahead and drain the oil? I would rather wait and do it after a little ride to break in the clutch and clean out it with a oil and oil filter change.

You MUST drain the oil, or when you open the case, it will spill everywhere

TIPS

o Place all parts in an orderly fashion so you dont lose any

o Read thru the manual a few times before even starting you have a good idea of the whole job will work out

o Hopefully you bought srpings along with the plates, you prolly need them

o Hopefully if you need a "lock up wrench" or special spanner, you already bought it (i didnt when i put a new clutch in a 77 XL 100 and had to make my own from grinding it from a socket

o Always tighten bolts in a criss-cross pattern so you don't break any plates

o Follow what the manual says EXACTLY Do not go out of order or jump ahead without looking at the manual

o To keep the gears from moving, I stuck a penny between the 2 gears where they met and it worked good...Just remember to take it out before you close it all up

o Be careful of any gaskets so you don't rip them, you'll have a leak

JUST FOLLOW THE MANUAL AND YOU SHOULD DO OK :thumbsup:

I just installed it. Didnt need to drain the oil any. I thought I would have. I didnt need any speacial tools really. I just need the air wrench do get one big nut off (forgot the name of it) and everything came off fine. Took it out for a test drive and had no slippage. Also it shifted a whole lot smoother. Now I just need to go down one size on the main cause its bogging when I give it wide open. Thanks for all the help.

If draining the oil would have been necessary to keep it from leaking out, I don't see why one could not just work on it with the bike on its side if you didn't want to drain it. Wouldn't even have to be horizontal - just a steep enough angle.

Glad it worked out for you. :thumbsup:

if you have to drain the oil, but you tipped it over a bit, it would be like working in a bowl of oil...the oil wouldn't spill but would just sit in the case and you would have to work in it...it would be like putting your hand in a bowl of cereal that has milk in it...